Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I have no idea how the Apple upgrade program works. Why do I need to have a Credit card? do they run a credit check?
You need a credit card for the monthly payments. A debit card does not satisfy the requirement. They need to know that you have the ability to make payments. Yes, they run a credit check. We don't know if they run a credit check for upgrading to another phone and starting a new loan, but the initial one, yes there is a check.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
You need a credit card for the monthly payments. A debit card does not satisfy the requirement. They need to know that you have the ability to make payments. Yes, they run a credit check. We don't know if they run a credit check for upgrading to another phone and starting a new loan, but the initial one, yes there is a check.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I'm debating between doing the Apple upgrade program or selling my Sim free iPhone 6s plus 64gb and then paying the difference for the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.