Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
hey guys..I'm about to sign for a new IUP for 12 pro max...wanna sell my XS Max that was on IUP and has been paid off now (used it on Tmobile)....

question: Is this XS Max from IUP UNLOCKED?...can I sell it as being unlocked?

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
So I have about $550 left on my IUP iPhone 11 Pro phone.

I was considering not upgrading but it seems I'd be leaving something on the table or losing trade value if I didn't right?

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Can you do the Pro Max (11/6) now or do you need to wait?

you said you're trading it in on 10/23... that means you did preorder right?
[automerge]1603044898[/automerge]
And of course Apple's website doesn't seem to think I'm in upgrade program with this device.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
The upgrade program has nothing to do with the Goldman apple card. You can do interest free financing on the apple card, but that is separate from the upgrade program.

Its very easy to do I am about to do my second up grade since I joined it and it is great to not have to worry about the hassle of selling it myself after the fact. Just get the new phone and give back the old phone.

I’ve been deciding on if I want to do this or do the Apple Card option. I normally always buy outright, but it’s always a PITA to have to sell my phone elsewhere, and then call Apple and have my AC+ removed and stuff.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
so I’ve been going back and forth this afternoon trying to figure out which route to go. I always paid outright for my phones and was about to do the same this time, but it gets old quickly, especially having to sell your device.

I was thinking about iUP for the fact that I do typically get AC+ on my phones, however I haven’t had to use it so I don’t know if I’d want to pay a higher monthly payment for that.

Also, was thinking of the Apple Card method with the trade in option to bring my payments down and then pay off whenever I choose...

Sigh, the options... Help!

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I've gone through 2 cycles of being on the iPhone Upgrade Program (IUP). It is through Citizens bank. You're basically taking out an interest free 24 month loan for the amount of your phone. You pay for taxes up front. You can make payments to Citizens on your Apple Card and Apple will give you the 3% Apple Cash back. Then, after 12 months/payments, you're eligible to upgrade to a new phone. Buy the new phone, send/take in your original one. The difference between the IUP and the new 24 month interest free loans on your Apple Card is that 1) the IUP price includes 2 years Apple Care+ in the monthly payment (no savings, it's just required) and 2) you're guaranteed a "trade in value". Example: I bought the 11 Pro on the IUP last year. I'll have $550 left on my loan when I trade it in for the 12 Pro on 10/23. So in essence, my trade in value for the 11 Pro is $550. If I had purchased the 11 Pro on a program like the 24 month Apple Card plan and wanted to sell it to buy the new 12 Pro I, 1) wouldn't have been required to include Apple Care+ and 2) would be looking at resale in values of ~$420 (looking at third party companies like Gazelle).

If you want to do the IUP program, you can get pre-approved for it (remember, it's basically taking out a loan) by starting the buy process in the Apple App. Once you selected the model, etc, it will ask if you want monthly or one time payment. Choose monthly and the IUP will come up as an option (note: it seems like this doesn't show up as an option if you choose the SIM free model). Choose that you want to newly start the program and it will take you through the page to get pre-approved. Then, you'll all ready to make your purchase on pre-order day. This is the confirmation I got once I went through it:
View attachment 966204

Hmm you make a good point about the trade in value. I’m lucky if I can get $500 for my pro cause I’m trying to sell it now. If in the instance that I want to preorder the 12 and get approved for the iUP, does it start when I receive the phone or? And how will it work if the phones release in Sept next year?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Trying to sign up for IUP for the first time. If I add a trade-in, it doesn’t give me the option for IUP, strange!
Trade in does not work with IUP since it's a leasing program.

You must get a phone thru IUP (Citizen's One) in order to get a new one next year without having to payoff the phone (you do have to send in the unpaid phone to Apple).

If you must trade in, choose the Apple 24 month Citizen's One loan, or Apple Card 24 month loan - both for 0%.
Then pay off the phone early if you want the next year's model and trade that in...
That's what I did from an 11 last year to the 12 this year.

Malnoth

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
I'm currently on year 2 of the IUP. How do returns work? If I order the 12 pro and decide I want the 12 pro max, can I return it without penalty?

According to their terms if you return your old phone and then decide to return the new upgraded phone it just cancels your new loan and you don't get the old device back. I'm assuming you can then just purchase a different device and open a new loan at that point? Doesn't this effectively get you out of the iPhone upgrade program after only 12 payments? Would you be required to pay off the remaining balance of the old loan?

1. Return of New, Upgraded iPhone After Exercising Upgrade Option. Should you exercise the Upgrade Option and subsequently return your new, upgraded iPhone under the terms of Apple’s Returns and Refunds Policy, the Financed iPhone that you traded in will not be returned to you and the New Installment Loan associated with your new, upgraded iPhone will be terminated.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
I'm currently on year 2 of the IUP. How do returns work? If I order the 12 pro and decide I want the 12 pro max, can I return it without penalty?

According to their terms if you return your old phone and then decide to return the new upgraded phone it just cancels your new loan and you don't get the old device back. I'm assuming you can then just purchase a different device and open a new loan at that point? Doesn't this effectively get you out of the iPhone upgrade program after only 12 payments? Would you be required to pay off the remaining balance of the old loan?

1. Return of New, Upgraded iPhone After Exercising Upgrade Option. Should you exercise the Upgrade Option and subsequently return your new, upgraded iPhone under the terms of Apple’s Returns and Refunds Policy, the Financed iPhone that you traded in will not be returned to you and the New Installment Loan associated with your new, upgraded iPhone will be terminated.

Never done it, but I’ve asked before and they stated that it does work that way. If you trade in for a 12 Pro the old loan is cancelled and a new one is started. If you then return the new one regardless of what you do after the new loan is also cancelled. If you then go for the max the worst thing is that it might be another hard pull, not sure.

Reactions: Malnoth

rd261

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
I just ordered a 12 pro on Friday through IUP, however, I am now thinking that I would rather get the pro max. Currently I have an 11 pro max through IUP. Does anyone know if I would be able to return the 12 pro the moment I receive it (therefore closing that loan) but keep the 11 pro max until the 12 pro max is available for preorder and upgrade through IUP at that time?

hungryteresa

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Hello everyone! I'm still relatively new with the IUP program. I currently have the iPhone 11 Pro and have made 13 out of 24 payments. I pre-ordered the iPhone 12 Pro on Friday (10/16) and will be picking up the new iPhone at my local Apple Store this coming Friday (10/23). So my question is, it looks like I have my 14th IUP payment for my iPhone 11 Pro on 10/20. When will I get charged my first payment for the iPhone 12 Pro? Will that happen the day before I pickup (10/22)? Most likely, I'll be paying "double" for October? Once I pay my first payment of my new loan for the iPhone 12 Pro, my previous Citizens loan is closed?

Jarrahammer

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
OC
Hello everyone! I'm still relatively new with the IUP program. I currently have the iPhone 11 Pro and have made 13 out of 24 payments. I pre-ordered the iPhone 12 Pro on Friday (10/16) and will be picking up the new iPhone at my local Apple Store this coming Friday (10/23). So my question is, it looks like I have my 14th IUP payment for my iPhone 11 Pro on 10/20. When will I get charged my first payment for the iPhone 12 Pro? Will that happen the day before I pickup (10/22)? Most likely, I'll be paying "double" for October? Once I pay my first payment of my new loan for the iPhone 12 Pro, my previous Citizens loan is closed?
I have the same exact question. Just saw that I will be charged on the 20th as well.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
I believe in years past they have credited these payments, but I might be misremembering. Might be worth hitting them up via chat to make sure.. see what they say.

Reactions: Jarrahammer

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I believe in years past they have credited these payments, but I might be misremembering. Might be worth hitting them up via chat to make sure.. see what they say.

I’m thinking about joining for the first time, but since preorders are in October this year, how will it work if phones are released in Sept next year?

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
Not what folks want to hear but I hope this helps.

Attachments

• D641360E-F9D6-4CD4-9834-17D14EDA7E13.jpeg
    D641360E-F9D6-4CD4-9834-17D14EDA7E13.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 0AAF82F2-69A0-48AD-B442-58AB4A00F4EB.jpeg
    0AAF82F2-69A0-48AD-B442-58AB4A00F4EB.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 185

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
So for the very first year when one joins the IUP, there's no way to trade in your existing iPhone? Hmm, seems kinda lame for them set it up that way.

Well it would hurt you actually. If they offered you $200, your payment would be reduced by $8.33, but you trade in after 12 months, then you only realize $100 of your $200 trade..

Catul

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Well it would hurt you actually. If they offered you $200, your payment would be reduced by $8.33, but you trade in after 12 months, then you only realize $100 of your $200 trade..

Hmm yes, that's interesting. Thought it'd make sense for me now with the T-Mobile $150 prepaid card offer if you trade in your existing phone and buy the new iPhone 12 from Apple. So I thought I could trade in my XS Max, which Apple is currently offering $370 for, get an additional $150 from Apple, and sign up for the IUP with a new iPhone 12 Pro Max. That $520 is plenty for me and hassle-free so I don't have to try a private sale.

Catul

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Looks like one can trade-in at the Apple Store when buying a new one on IUP. Monthly payment is fixed, trade-in credit is given as a Gift Card. Not bad ....

Attachments

• 8A9A2960-1091-4FE0-B6BF-B99F9CA1B2EA.jpeg
    8A9A2960-1091-4FE0-B6BF-B99F9CA1B2EA.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 185

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
Looks like one can trade-in at the Apple Store when buying a new one on IUP. Monthly payment is fixed, trade-in credit is given as a Gift Card. Not bad ....

That makes sense. Glad they give that as an option.

JeepGC

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
New Orleans, LA
hey guys..I'm about to sign for a new IUP for 12 pro max...wanna sell my XS Max that was on IUP and has been paid off now (used it on Tmobile)....

question: Is this XS Max from IUP UNLOCKED?...can I sell it as being unlocked?
It should be, but if I were you, I would call T-Mobile before selling it to verify that it isn't locked to their network.

Reactions: jokerz126

xtac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
Can someone explain the economics of this to me? I bought an iPhone 11 pro max 256 for $1193 last year, its now going for $900 on cl/eBay. That means it cost me $293 to use this phone for a year, plus I paid for apple care it cost $120 thus making the total $413. The same phone was $60/month on the IUP. That would mean instead of $413, I would have paid $720. Round it down -> $300 difference. Plus the credit report hit, which isn't a big deal. Is $300 worth the cost to be able to just sell it on your own? I guess for some but not me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.