iPhone Upgrade Question - Additional Line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigdaddymac, Jul 30, 2010.

1. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

With ATT, I currently have 4 lines (1 primary line, 3 additional lines on the family plan - 2 are iPhones, the other 2 plain cell phones.

Neither iPhone is eligible for an update until next May 2011. Both plain cell phones ARE eligible for updates to the iPhone, with discounted pricing.

I want the new iPhone 4. But I don't want to pay for 3 iPhone data lines every month.

My question is this - Can I upgrade one of on my additional lines, to get the new iPhone with discounted pricing? And then simply use that iPhone 4, and put my iPhone 3GS in a drawer? And thus, I would have only 2 iPhone data plans to pay for every month, and still 2 additional lines for $9.99 each.

I called ATT and they said that yes, this was very possible. However I worry that since I have made a 2 year commitment to ATT for the data plan on an iPhone, that while I may indeed get the discounted price for upgrading, I'm going to have to continuing paying for that "old" iPhone's data every month, and so wind up only using 2 iPhones, but paying for 3 every month.

Anyone able to clarify how this works and if it is indeed possible?

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

3. Los macrumors regular

Yes you can, the data plan isn't locked with the 2 year contract, so you can easily take if off when you make the switch.

4. forcetactic macrumors 6502

So if I'm understanding you guys correctly

If you have 2 lines on family plan, 1 main line iphone data + voice ineligible for upgrade, and 1 dumb phone with just $10 voice eligible for upgrade,

you can add a data plan and renew your 2 year contract with att on dumb phone to get a subidized $200 iphone 4, then remove the data plan and use the iphone 4 on the main line?

end result would be 1 iphone 4 data + voice and 1 dumb phone voice plan (which is renewed for 2 years)

5. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Yes but it's more accurate to phrase it like that.

Plus if the contracts are a year apart between the two lines, then you can get a new iPhone every year.

6. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

That is exactly what will happen. Let me lay it out in my situation.

Family plan: My line (not eligible for upgrade), and my moms line (eligible for upgrade).

I upgraded my moms line, which made her line now have a new two year contract. And I went to ATT and had them switch the IMEI of my iPhone 4 to my line, and they gave me a new micro sim card for my iPhone 4 with my number, and a new 3G sim card for my mom with her number.

My line is now using the iPhone 4, eligible for upgrade next february, and her line is now a new 2 year contract.

7. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Hmm so there's nothing preventing people from upgrading $200 to iphone 4 (once they're eligible), removing the data plan (so they go back to their old $10 family line with 2 year voice renewal), and selling it on ebay for $600+?

That just seems like easy money.

8. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

That would not work out for anyone who actually wants an iphone 4, because then both lines are not eligible for upgrade.

But basically yeah, if they dont care about the iPhone 4 they can do that and make 500+ dollars off of it. Just means they cant have one themselves.

9. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Well it's 9.99 x 24 months + 199 for the phone + 18 dollar activation fee + 50 tax (here in CA) so over two years you are looking at 500 for the phone total. Then if you did sell it on ebay, you got the ebay and paypal fees. So you are only talking about maybe 100-150 dollar profit total, if you are lucky.