Iphone upgrade question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i-sidd, Jan 15, 2011.

  1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

    Apr 27, 2006
    Hi all,

    I have finished my 2 year contract with att, we have a family plan. I have an iphone and the 2 other lines are regular LG phones. Now i see on the att website that all the liens are eligible for upgrade.

    My wife is thinking of getting the 8gb 3GS for $49. but I wanted to know if she upgrades now she will have to get a 2 year contract when will she be able to upgrade next.

    Now the 3rd line will be disconnected soon, but can I upgrade to an iphone and then disconnect that line, or will it have an ETF on that line.

    any suggestions
  2. saberahul macrumors 68040

    Nov 6, 2008
    Once your 2 year ends - you can eliminate whatever line you want at no charge or etf. ETF applies when you cancel a line during the duration of the contract.
    If your wife upgrades now - her 2 yr will start from the activation date... so if she upgrades on 1/15/2011 - her 2 yr will expire on 1/15/2013.
    Have you considered waiting for the next model of iPhone likely to be released this summer?
    Because I believe the 3G 3GS won't support the next iOS - don't hold me to it though, you should do some research.
  3. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apr 27, 2006
    So that means the 3g/3gs will not be able to go past the current OS version.
    That is a bummer, coz we were hoping how we could maximize but upgrading to the 3gs with only $50 a piece.
  4. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

    Apple 26.2

    Jan 1, 2011
    What up, 212?!
    If Apple introduces a new iPhone in June/July, the iPhone 4 will most likely drop in price... may not be in the $50, but still a better device than the 3G/3GS.
  5. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Apr 27, 2006
    Do you think just to avoid the whole 2 year contract thing. Should I just buy my wife an iphone 3gs from craigslist or something. How accurate is the info that the next IOS will not support the 3g/3gs.

    She doesn't want to wait until june/july. So what should we do.
  6. Krandor macrumors 6502

    Jul 15, 2010
    Nobody knows for sure, but there were issues with IOS4 an the 3G so I would expect that IOS5 to at a minimum have features that are not supported on the 3G.

Share This Page