iPhone Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by qbcall11, Jul 2, 2008.

1. qbcall11 macrumors member

I have 2 lines, the first line ends in xxx-xxx-xx61, the sencond line ends in xxx-xxx-xx19. The first number is my line, and unfortunately my line is not able for an upgrade. The second number however is eligible for an upgrade. Will I be able to purchase the iPhone 3G at $199 with the second line and swap sim cards? While being able to also put the iPhone rate plan on my line?

2. skylerdavid macrumors newbie

3. izibo macrumors 6502

Yes, this would work 100%. You will have to initially change the second line plan to an iPhone plan, but after you switch SIM cards you can change plans to your hearts content.

You may, however, have to renew your 2 year contract on the first line when you reset it to work with the new SIM card. In other words, you would have a two year contract on both lines effective 7/11

4. qbcall11 thread starter macrumors member

5. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

When you get home, simply put your SIM card into the new iPhone and activate via iTunes. Your line will automatically switch over to the new iPhone plan. When its all done, just call AT&T and have them take off the iPhone plan on your second line. They will simply ask for the IMEI for the second line.

6. galactic732 macrumors member

you should be able to upgrade the second line and extend the contract for 2 years from that date without extending the contract for the first line.

it makes sense bc youre not getting another subsidized phone for the first line, only the second.

just upgrade it and pull a switcheroo

i worked at verizon and at least thats how it works there.

7. izibo macrumors 6502

No problem, just think of it this way: Once you have re-signed your contract and upgraded to the iPhone, it's yours. You can sell it, you can give it away, you can trade it with a friend (or trade it with yourself in your case). There is nothing illegal, immoral, or wrong with what your doing. :D

8. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

So help me out here. If I were to hang on to my current iPhone and get the new iPhone 3G, I wouldn't be able to just take the sim card out of the 3G phone and use with my old iPhone on occassion. If would think this would be possible since I can't use both phones at the same time.

Should this work or is it just wishful thinking?