iphone upgrade question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twoodcc, Jun 9, 2009.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

if i upgrade to the new iphone, it will cost me $200 more than the current price, or $499 for the 32 GB version.

but i have someone else on my family plan that can upgrade for $299 for 32 GB version.

can they stop me from having that person upgrade, and then just switching phones with me?

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

That's a good question. I was wondering the same. I have a friend who's eligible for an upgrade but won't be doing it until at least next year. Wondering if he can buy a 3GS and sell it to me.

3. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

If you have multiple phones on one plan, and there is another number that's eligible for an upgrade, you can upgrade that one, and then move the plan to your number.

I've done this with the 3G about 6 months ago.

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

by "move the plan", do you mean "move the phone"?

basically, can i just switch sim cards?

5. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

No, they will actually swap the plans on the phone. It will take some swapping of SIM cards, they move the iPhone plan from one phone to the other. If it already has an iPhone plan, simply swapping the SIM cards will work fine. I had a Crackberry on the other number and it took some changing things about as the plans are different for them.

6. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

they are both iPhones. so switching SIM cards should work?

7. Cuprous macrumors member

So if I understand this correctly, my friend needs a new smartphone but doesnt care what she gets. She is not on my family plan. I have the iPhone 3G.

If she were to get the iPhone 3GS and I swap my iPhone 3G with her will that work? Do I simply need to swap the my sim card with her sim card from the 3GS? We both would have an iPhone plan just different accounts.

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

that is basically what i'm going to try to do. the only difference is that we share a family plan, but that shouldn't really matter. i don't think

9. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

It should work. I opened a new line to get the 3G iPhone and gave my mom my old LG Shine. At AT&T they swapped our plans, SIMs and everything. Now I have 5 month old iPhone 3G that can upgrade to the new 3G S for $399 and $499.

10. zvandiver macrumors member

I hope to do the sim swap with my wife. She has a Razr eligible for the upgrade. She will get my 3G and I will use the 3GS.
    Does anyone know the procedure for changing the phone in iTunes to transfer apps?