iPhone Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rumorman69, Jul 13, 2010.

1. rumorman69 macrumors regular

Hey guys. So how does upgrading a phone on AT&T work? Do you always have to wait 2 entire years to upgrade? Or just 1? Weren't iPhone (1st gen) launch day buyers able to upgrade to the 3G once it came out 1 year later? What about 3G users (launch day or close to launch), weren't they able to upgrade to the 3GS when it was launched?

Does anyone know a way to upgrade after a single year ? (pm me if you want :)) I get the feeling if you call AT&T and threaten to cancel your service you can get them to let you upgrade after a year...

2. rumorman69 thread starter macrumors regular

Seriously :(? There's got to be thousands of people on this forum who have upgraded their iPhones... Any help please? Thanks. :)

3. sportster macrumors 6502

I have no experience with being able to upgrade after only 1 year. Sorry I can not help you with it.

I do know this time around if your contract ended within the year, they would let you upgrade at the release.

4. ellelittle macrumors member

My husband and I are on the same ATT account and both of our lines are eligible for a full upgrade anywhere between 12-18 months. His line is the main line on the account and has been available at 12 months, mine is the secondary and is always available before 18 months (at least it always has been in the past). We've had iPhones since the first launch.

5. rumorman69 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. Why do you think you guys are eligible to upgrade before 2 years? Have you been with AT&T a long time or pay a large bill? May I ask since when you have been with AT&T and more or less what your monthly bill is if you don't mind? Thanks.

6. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

It's because of the size of the monthly check they write to AT&T

7. dgstan macrumors 6502a

In my experience, the manager of a B&M AT&T store can modify your upgrade date to some degree. Go in and talk to the manager and ask him what can be done. Be nice.

8. ellelittle macrumors member

I have no clue why we are always able to upgrade early a lot people seem to think it has to do with your monthly bill, which for our two iPhones and house phone we pay about $200. My husband has been with ATT for about six years and I've been with them for over 10 years.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It does have to do with your monthly bill.

From ATT's Website:
    [​IMG]

Then ATT and Apple did some back office vodoo. The result? Anyone who is eligible to upgrade in 2010 will be able to get the full upgrade price. So launch day 3G people who spend over $100 monthly would be eligible for a full upgrade @ 18 months (12 months at the time of iPhone 4 launch + 6 months which is the end of december = 2010 for all)

Well, uninformed individual, upgrade eligibility is determined on a per-line basis. The primary line will have the voice portion of the bill under their line. Depending on the level of service this can be from, what, 40 to 100 bucks monthly. Tack on Data or text messaging, and the 100 dollar threshold is easily met. For the other lines, the only charges they have is any associated data plan, the additional 9 dollar charge per line for family plans, and perhaps a texting plan. Unless you have the extremely expensive international data package, or lots of extras like ATT navigator, you more than likely come in substantially less than the $69 to $100 dollars required to bump up your eligibility.