iPhone Upgraders: Apple Offers Partial Refunds for AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 14, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As carriers move away from two-year contracts, and towards financing programs that break down the full price of an iPhone into equal monthly payments, it is worth a reminder that Apple offers partial refunds for unused AppleCare+ coverage, minus the value of any service already provided.

[​IMG]

Since many carrier financing programs enable customers to upgrade to a new iPhone after a minimum of 12 months, whereas the AppleCare+ coverage period is 24 months, some customers will inevitably have at least half of their warranty period remaining, for which they are entitled a pro-rated refund.

Macworld recently noted that Apple has a longstanding support document on its website that outlines how to request a refund for an AppleCare plan. The process involves phoning Apple and providing them with your AppleCare agreement number and covered device serial number, and an original sales receipt is often required.

The refund policy may vary depending on the country, but in the U.S., Apple stipulates that customers who cancel their AppleCare+ plan more than 30 days after the date of purchase will receive a pro-rated refund of the original purchase price, minus a cancellation fee of $25 or 10% of the pro-rated amount, whichever is less.

Here is the exact verbiage from the AppleCare+ terms and conditions:
    AppleCare+ for the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus costs $129. Assuming that you do not make any accidental damage claims, and upgrade your iPhone after 12 months, the plan would have $64.50 in value remaining. After a 10% cancellation charge of $6.45, the refund would be $58.05 -- enough for one or two monthly payments on your next iPhone.

AppleCare+ for iPhone extends both the smartphone's limited one-year warranty and 90 days of complimentary phone support to two years from the original date of purchase, and provides up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage for a $79 or $99 service charge each time. It also covers defective hardware and depleted batteries.

Article Link: iPhone Upgraders: Apple Offers Partial Refunds for AppleCare+

2. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Great info, MR! Wish I knew this long ago. Could've put some money back in my pocket.

When selling second hand it's a nice selling point but it doesn't really earn you any extra cash, in my experience.

3. arpitmehta macrumors newbie

arpitmehta

But that doesn't make any sense... it's not like I'm paying for Apple Care up front, it's just added on to the monthly plan. So that means I've only paid half of it off at the 12-month mark. Am I missing something?

4. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

It's not applicable for the iPhone Upgrade Program. It's for customers who use a carrier financing program (i.e. AT&T) and purchase AppleCare+ on the side for full price. After 12 months, you could get a refund on half your AppleCare+ or just let it carry over to your new iPhone for the remaining 12 months. It's mostly just a convenience to have the choice.

5. arpitmehta macrumors newbie

arpitmehta

Ah, got it. I read that differently. Thanks for explaining! :)

6. MICMAC247 macrumors regular

MICMAC247

Is there a way I could just roll the unused service onto my new device, rather than going down the pro-rated refund less fees route?

7. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

They have no way of knowing how long you're going to keep the new handset, and you might end up with only a partial AppleCare+ on your new iPhone.

8. BruiserB macrumors 65816

So if someone buys a second hand iPhone that supposedly has AppleCare+ on it, is it possible to change it to your name and prevent the seller from cancelling it after the sale, leaving you uncovered?

9. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Thanks for posting this article! I just sent my old iPhone 6 to TMobile and hadn't thought of this aspect of it. When I went to find my AppleCare info I couldn't find anything so I thought I was screwed. I had bought it at the AppleStore in Mall of America a year ago and I can't remember if they ever sent/gave me the certificate. I'm usually good at saving stuff like that. It also wasn't on my apple.com account. But I called support, gave them the IMEI of my old phone and they were able to look up my AppleCare+ and process the refund of about $47 back to my credit card, no problem. I love Apple!

Since I'm now on the Jump on Demand program and Apple comes out with new phones every year, I probably really don't need to buy additional years of AppleCare+ right? Can't see me needing the additional phone help time when there is such a great online support system.

10. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Support told me they can't roll the unused time over to the next phone. You get a refund and then buy a fresh policy on the new phone.

11. iOSFangirl6001 macrumors 6502

iOSFangirl6001

Not entirely true. Yes have no way of knowing how long you're going to keep the new handset but that's irrelevant.

I've only done AppleCare on my iPhone 3 times out of the various models I've owned but Twice I did do a device and a prorated refund once.

All you need to do for switching unused or remaining AppleCare coverage length from 1 device to another is call Apple's 800 number ( or presumably alternatively you could use their online chat/messaging or schedule a call options)

I called up Apple explained I no longer had my iPhone 4S ( and 5S later on ) and that I would like if possible to switch. The said sure and I just needed to provide a list of details and info to verify the following:

1: Proof Of Ownership ( Serial # , IMEI, Make, Model, Storage Capacity, Place of purchase , purchase date etc. )

2: Contact info

3> Apple ID and Apple Care registration info

4> the new IMEI and Serial Number of equipment to be covered

The rep did her thing and boom 2 to 4 months of coverage on the upgraded/new phone unless something has changed in that regard since the 5S

Side note got a 8 months prorated refund on my iPhone 4 AppleCare used that towards AC on the 4S before the switching idea had occurred to me

Sadly no that's a definite no no I've been told. AC/AC+ is non transferable from person to person

Only from device to device by the original policy holder/plan purchaser

12. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

I tried this and failed. I used only 1 of my 2 replacements and they wouldn't refund me anything, even though I still had 1 replacement available. They claim some BS about the subsidy that went towards my one replacement wiped out any available refund credit I would have. So hopefully the person that gets my phone from Nextworth realizes and enjoys using that other replacement. :rolleyes:

Yet another reason for my decision to not get the ridiculously more expensive AC+ on my new 6s!

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes it is, and if you are buying a used Apple product with an AppleCare Protection Plan on it you need to insist that the seller call AppleCare and transfer the plan into your name, otherwise the seller could do just that - cancel it and get a pro-rated refund, leaving you hanging out to dry.

Simply registering the device to you (which you and the seller can do, seller just signs into http://supportprofile.apple.com and removes the device from their ID - then you sign in and add it to yours) does not transfer the AppleCare Protection Plan. That can only be done by calling and speaking to "Agreements Administration".

14. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I did this for two iPhones. I got $43 back on one and $49 on the other. Main reason for the difference was one was bought slightly later, so it had more credit.

I typically let the next owner keep my AppleCare but now I wish I'd been getting refunds. Selling with AppleCare doesn't seem to add any resale value and letting it expire if your phone is in a drawer is of no value to anyone.

Anyway, on my two phones one of them had no incidents and on the other I did get a replacement due to a cracked screen. I paid for that via the $79 deductible.

It didn't affect the refund, nor should it since you pay for that deductible extra.

I guess it's possible if you used up your entire benefit (2 replacements) then your plan is "fulfilled" and thus not eligible for any refund.

They will refund the amount back to the original payment method. I couldn't do that since my credit card number changed.

They offered a wire transfer or an Apple gift card. I took the Apple gift card and used it toward the new Magic Mouse. :)

15. KPOM macrumors G5

The seller has to change ownership by calling Apple. I have done this whenever I have sold a device with AppleCare.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

Not true. The original owner has a one-time option to transfer coverage to a new owner. I have done this several times.

17. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

That's actually pretty much the case with most extended warranties / buyer protection / whatever they call them. Look at the contract details and most will give a state by state breakdown of how partial refunds are handled. Subtracting any repair costs from the refund is pretty much standard as well.

18. iOSFangirl6001 macrumors 6502

iOSFangirl6001

Well again that's "what I was told" obviously then the Apple reps whom told me such either A> lied or B> don't know their heard from their Arse