Iphone usage in Italy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wickerman1893, Oct 17, 2010.

1. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

Hey guys, during my spring break in a few months I'm gonna be taking a trip to Italy and I'll be taking my iPhone. Im curious on how I can use my phone primarily for texting and calling without huge fees or roaming charges. Would I have to unlock and jailbreak? Any suggestions...? Thanks

2. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If you're running firmware 4.0.2 or above, then an unlock is impossible. You might have to borrow another phone if you don't want to incur roaming charges. :(

3. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Use the hotels wifi with skype... other than that ATT data rates for over seas is REDICULOUS. You can get 20mb per month for $199 per month for overseas.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can unlock an iphone with 4.0.2. It's 4.1 that prohibits unlocking.
    If you jailbreak and unlock, you can buy a pre-paid SIM from one of the Italian providers. You'll have to edit APN info (google: apn iphone), but that's not a big deal.
    Make sure your modem firmware is not 2.x, because you won't be able to unlock. Use limerain to jailbreak, because greenpoison only works on 4.1.

5. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

It's TWO HUNDRED mb for 199. not 20mb. 20mb is 24.99

6. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

lol ur right... still a HUGE rip off.

7. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

The rip off is that like everything else, it's pro rated. Coming from Tmobile, though, the actual cost doesn't seem that much different. And, at least there are "packages".

8. PaulNY macrumors member

I went there last summer, before I went I added the world traveler option which gives discounted rates for voicecalls. Texts are billed at 50 cents each sent, I dont think I incurred any received charge. It added up super quick, but the rep screwed something up when they added the international options so I got back to a $350 bill...promptly called CS and they killed like $250 of the charges...so unless you can get your iPhone successfully unlocked (i'm sure they'll be a 4.2 unlock out by spring), pick up another cheap phone on ebay and get a European sim from Voda IT or similar carrier.

9. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

You can also text from within AIM when you're on wifi. That helps quite a bit.

10. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

If you end up taking your phone over there and plan to use just wifi, don't forget to turn on Airplane mode, then turn on wifi.

Also, if you plan on the above, you could possibly use google voice, couldn't you?

11. Saimon87 macrumors newbie

if you want to use the internet a good option is buying a sim there from 3.
    They offer 3gb a month for 5 euro on PAYG so you can just grab a sim, load 10 euros into it and activate the internet. In the 3gb there's also 2000 skype minutes included separate from the data itself.
    Once you've set that up sending free sms's from apps is quickly done!