iPhone usage stats while in standby?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by millerrh, Jul 24, 2007.

1. millerrh macrumors 6502

i've been noticing a weird thing when i charge my phone. I leave it in the cradle all night charging (AC power) and when I wake up and check it in the morning the green battery icon isn't quite full, the small battery icon has a lightning bolt and my usage stats say something like usage: 47 mins, standby: 47 mins. Its almost like when it gets done charging it turns on somehow and starts draining the battery (even though it seems like it is in standby). Any ideas what is going on?

2. mrtune macrumors 6502a

When mine is plugged in, the usage stats always go up at the exact same pace. Doesn't matter whether its fully charged or not. I think that is normal. Whether it's intended is another question.

They will reset when it's full, but I noticed on mine that sometimes I'll have random usages readings after an all-night charge too. I think it's a known bug that even though the battery is fully charged, the software says otherwise. So when the phone thinks it's not fully charged, it just starts counting up those usage meters.

Maybe your phone checked email in the middle of the night and that caused to get off the fully charged state and into the charging state?

3. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

This was happening to me (waking up to find XX minutes of standby/usage) and then I realized that I had my macbook set to go to sleep at a certain time every night and then wake up just before I wake up....thus when it went to sleep it stopped charging, starting the usage timer. :rolleyes:

4. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

I would have this same thing happen to me. I would leave it plugged in over night and then wake up to find it not charged all the way and some random ammount of identical usage and standby. What i started to do is charge it during the day and check on it once in a while untill i got the full charge. I guess once it reaches a full charge it stops charging. Hope this helps.

5. dominatrix macrumors member

thats not the problem , because this happens to me and i use the wall charger.
    so nothing to do with the computer /sleep.

6. flawless001 macrumors newbie

Usage Time Problem Fix

I Have Had The Same Problems To.my Usage Time Is The Same As Standby Time. This Is Not A Software Issue. I Ran Each Program One By One. I Found Out That My Yahoo Email Account Was Constantly Running On My Phone. It Was Constantly Searching For New Emails. So I Erased The Account From My Phone And It Works Great. Try It. If You Are Having This Problem You Have To Find Out What Program Is Running In Your Background Using Up The Battery Even When Its In Standby.

Ask Me Any Questions And I Will Try To Help You Out.

7. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Just deleted Yahoo account. Will try it out tonight and see if it charges correctly.

8. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't make a difference. Still has the strange behavior...although it seems like it didn't even charge all the way at all (usage never reset) tonight even though I let it charge all night long.

I wonder if the power brick is shutting off after some time or something..that would mean that last night it never really did get a charge. Or maybe the nights that we get the XX usage/standby stats is because the power brick shuts off after the full charge and starts draining...

I have no idea if that is what is going on...just a thought.

9. podvisual macrumors newbie

There have been reports of faulty power blocks for the iPhone. I'd try charging it via USB and see if you can get it full there. If yes, then you know there is a problem with the brick and you can get it replaced.

10. flawless001 macrumors newbie

Restore

Bummer it didnt work
    try restore
    does ur battery die fast?
    Do a restore and turn the phone off and charge it all nite
    mine had the same prob as urs. Restore until its fixed.Keep me posted

11. ramzez macrumors member

anyone found a solution to this? i have the same problem, no matter if i charge using usb or power, the only time it worked was after the restore, the moment you plugin the cable it should reset the usage, but it doesn't!

i also don't use yahoo, i use gmail account, but don't see why it should be relevant.

12. Scairy Mairy macrumors newbie

13. HawaiianB macrumors newbie

usage and stanby times the same /possible fix

I posted a possible reason/fix on the thread above

14. ramzez macrumors member

basically there is no issue for me. The problem was that I was removing the charger too early. The trick is that although the bar is fully green it is still not full until the charge icon (earthquake) changes to socket. When charging using computer make sure it doesn't goes sleep.

15. saks39 macrumors newbie

I had this happen to me with an Iphone 3Gs. I had to restore, and so far so good. I restored about 20 mins ago and the problem has gone away for now....

16. wlezel macrumors newbie

guys this is a rather simple fix, it used to do it to me too. i'm 95% sure it's because a app is running in your background all the time. Do yourself a favor and double click the home button which brings up all the background apps "running", hold your finger on one of them until the jiggle, then "X" off every single one of them, then presto, it should resolve your problem! I do this multiple times a day. Let me know if this works for you!

17. jon08 macrumors 65816

Well, I guess in this case it's easier to just turn off the phone and restart it...

18. johnoporritt macrumors member

No because turning the phone off does not close apps in the multitasking bar.