iphone "usage vs. standby" battery times confusion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Oct 18, 2011.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

First off I am no newbie and usually can figure it out myself.

However, like many, my iPhone 4S's battery is draining much faster than usual.

I literally took it off the chargers at 520AM eastern time this morning. Didn't even touch it on my way to work. Got to work around 615AM, and battery says it's down to 96% within less than an hour. (I have nothing own, no bluetooth, no wifi, no wifi synch etc).

Anyways when I check the usage (it's now 645AM...so 1 hour and 25 minutes after I took it off the charger).

iPhone 4S shows my "usage as 58 minutes, and my standby as 1 hour 25 minutes"

So that begs the question, how in the world could the phone have used 58 minutes of actual usage? I didn't receive any texts. I might have touch the screen 3 times in the 1 hour 25 minutes of standby time, just to check the battery.

So how can a phone that's been off the charger for 1 hour 25 minutes already have 58 minutes of usage time? Is iCloud draining the battery? I even had photostream off.

Sometime is wrong.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Maybe one of your apps is bugged and running in the background. Try closing all the apps in your multitasking bar, restart the phone, and then check the usage again after an hour. If it still has the same problem, go for a restore. If THAT doesn't fix it, no ideas left.

3. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Like I said, nothing is on. I didn't restore the phone. I setup the phone as a new phone. Nothing is running in the background. I manually double clicked and closed everything.

I've been dealing this battery like everyone else, hoping things would get better.

All my other iPhones would get 5-7 hours of actual use time and than antoher 15-20 hours of standby time.

This iphone 4s, the confusion is why is it using 58 minutes of usage time, when it's only been off the charger for 1 hour 25 minutes.

4. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

If you really want to make sure everything is closed do a hard reboot. Hold the home button down with the sleep/wake button until the iPhone restarts and you see the Apple logo then release them.

5. f00f macrumors 65816

The "Standby Time" term is misleading. This is the total time since the device has been fully charged. This time includes usage time and sleep time.

"Usage Time" is the time spent doing stuff which includes stuff you're actually doing with the phone (calls, texting, etc) as well as background stuff (auto-checking for email, etc).

(click!)
    [​IMG]