iPhone USB Cable - Removing From iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by honeycrisp, Jul 17, 2008.

1. honeycrisp macrumors regular

So on all iPods and the previous generation iPhone, there were spots you had to push in to release the cable from the device. The new 3G iPhone cable does not have these. Apparently you're just supposed to rip the cable out of the device? Seems like that would be hurting something, but maybe not...

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

have a look at the cable head, does it have little pins sticking out to the side? if not you can just 'rip' it out… and by rip i mean carefully pull it out ;)

3. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

Nope, your fine, but I would still gentle pull it out, ripping it out might not end well.

4. Vizin macrumors 6502a

Rip isn't the best word, but yeah, you don't have to press in anymore to release it, thanks to a redesign of the cable. If you're concerned about it causing damage, it's probably better to pull from the connector itself, and not the cable.

Also, my 1st-gen iPhone (purchased on June 30 last year) came with the new kind of cable.

5. honeycrisp thread starter macrumors regular

Good point, rip is a strong word. But you know what I mean. You're just supposed to pull it out, but after years of conditioning to pull it out by pressing the sides, it just feels dirty and wrong to just pull it out!

6. alber786 macrumors newbie

I do agree !

Although his seems to be insignificant to almost all the people out there and you and me be called insane and crazy to notice such stuff but i agree with your view.
    The new cable of course makes it convenient to push it in and pull it out but i did notice that it will rub against the sides of the connector while doing so and it will leave marks there if not deep scratches at least on my white 16 GB iPhone. I know that on white surfaces a metal rub leaves a gray mark but that may not be a scratch and may be cleaned with a cloth.

But it will scratch eventually, i am sad that i am now using the old cable to check it. I bought mine on 19th Sept 2008 and till 2 days bac i was using the new one and with care to insert and take it out slowly but still i can see the marks....so bad, i wish i can get a new one and never insert this new one.

But even with the old one...apple wanted us to just push it in and press the buttons while taking it out ONLY, this means that they designed it to be pushed in even for the older one, its our carefullness that we push the buttons even while inserting to completely reduce the contact. So anyways in that case to it should be scratching if someone as careful as us will even do press while inserting.

Moreover, i know a lot of people find it more satisfying to hear that click sound when they insert it without pressing the buttons or the new one as it gives them a feel of snug fit. The same is with connecting usb cable for NOKIA and other phone but i really cant understand the silly logic of ruining a glossy product like this by design??!!!!!

specially iPhone is asthetically designed and it should be take care of. I regret to have used the new cable even once as i am so specific about it that if i get one scrach anywhere on my phone, i will put it aside as then i dont enjoy it anymore.

Ialso wonder if they knew it and would have used a tough material but still why should it scratch even that at all!!!

U tell guys what do you think??

Regards,
    Alber

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

That you're OCD about your iPhone.

8. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I hear ya.

Coming from a 3rd gen iPod that had the "squeeze button" connector and had to be ejected from iTunes/OS X before being physically detached, while my iPhone was first unbricked at the Apple Store, I gasped with a chill on the back of my neck, as the Apple staff member just pulled the cable out.