iPhone USB Disk Directory

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MrBananarama, May 3, 2012.

1. MrBananarama macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a jailbreak application which makes the iPhone act as a USB drive. I've heard of the 'USB Drive' application but it stores its files in an .img file which is unopenable on an iPhone. Is there any application that can point whatever connected computer/device to a directory in the file system? Or is there a way to edit the contents of the USB Disk from within the iPhone? I am not connecting to a computer with this so any computer apps can't be used. First post so please tell me anything I'm doing wrong :)

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You could potentially use iFile for this but it's not a clean-cut way of achieving what you want. You'll basically be able to delete and move files around with that but not edit them. iFunBox on your computer can also do this.

3. MrBananarama thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I should have made this clearer; I want certain files to be available over USB, managed from within the iPhone.

4. ya1950 macrumors regular

If I'm understanding you correctly there are plenty of applications in the app store that allow the phone to function as a USB drive and to open and manipulate the files within the application. Some will allow you to send them to another application on the phone and/or to Dropbox. If you want to move a file to a specific location outside of the application itself then you can use iFile to move it wherever you want. Just search the app store for USB drive and you'll find a slew of applications, some for free. Hope this is what you are looking for.

5. MrBananarama thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ya1950, but the app store USB apps use the iTunes file sharing feature, which requires a computer, and I am connecting the iPhone to a digital photo frame, which cannot use iTunes. The iPhone needs to act as a USB thumb drive, preferably directed to a folder in the iPhone filesystem.

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

7. MrBananarama thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a bit more complex than just wanting a USB stick. I have a program on the iPhone to generate photos which I then want to be produced on the frame directly.

8. MrBananarama thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, this is the USB Drive app I referred to in my original post, which doesn't do the right job as the stored items cannot be read from the iPhone.

9. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Ah, I will get started writing a program that does exactly what you are talking about. Get back with you a year from now. lol =P

10. MrBananarama thread starter macrumors newbie

:) Is it even possible to write a program to do this?