iphone use in airplane

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by halerd, Sep 5, 2010.

1. halerd macrumors newbie

I have trouble getting reception in my small plane which is flown below 12000, there is alot of data that would be helpful if I could improve reception.

Bob

2. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

There are a lot of things that can improve reception (no case, where it may be mounted in the plane, the way you hold it ;), etc. etc.).

But I'm guessing that your issue is more a proximity to towers? I may be incorrect here, but a lot of non commercial pilots tend to fly in areas that are a bit more remote than the metro areas that have dense tower locations.

You could try turning off the 3G option, and see if you get better data on Edge (but it will be very slow).

HTH.

3. halerd thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I turn off the 3g option, also would an external antenna do any good?
    Thanks
    Bob

4. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Settings app. Then choose the Network option, and you'll see the 3G slider ro turn on/off. I would also turn off the WiFi. It seems to me, and again I could be wrong, that the data stream from any app tries WiFi first, even I not connected. Then it tries the celullar option.

5. halerd thread starter macrumors newbie

6. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Don't have any experience with external cell phone antenna amplifiers or setups. Sorry.

But, there still are options sold out there. I would guess that you'd have to have a 12v option, and maybe an automobile setup could be adapted.