iPhone use in South Korea.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xMastemah, Dec 6, 2009.

1. xMastemah macrumors member

I've done a bit of research before the iPhone was released in South Korea about using a foreign one there...but now the situation may have changed slightly.

I'm going to South Korea in August for 10 months and I want to bring an iPhone with me from the States. I don't want to buy one when I'm there, I want to get it here. My question is, is there any way for me to get service there without paying for some international plan ($3/minute...hahaha)?

Can anyone shed some light? I know Korea's phone companies control which phones use their networks because they have a whitelist of all phone IMEI's that can access their networks. Previously, this limited iPhones from use in South Korea, but now that they also have iPhones in circulation, will I be able to use mine, too?

Sorry if this is kind of confusing. I'll elaborate if I need to. :)
    Thanks,
    Levi.

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The only way to get cheap service there on your iPhone is to unlock it.

We just have an international plan (with international data) for when we travel there and need to use our phone. Otherwise we just have it forward to the company phone since we don't pay that bill :p

3. xMastemah thread starter macrumors member

So, unlock it then get some kind of international SIM?

Bah, that sucks. I wish I could use some kind of prepaid Korean option. Then again, after looking at some of their plan options for data, I'm so happy with the prices in America, lol.

4. ndirish55 macrumors newbie

I phone 3gs in south korea

my air force son is coming home this week from Iraq and his next deployment is in south korea in august, he wants a new phone, the 3gs I phone. anyone please give feedback on using this phone in korea. will he be able to call us in virginia? plus and minus responses

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It would be hard finding a 3GS at the moment that can be Jailbroken and unlocked to be used with any simcard.
    Best bet would be either ebay or CL or getting a factory unlocked online.

6. blooz macrumors newbie

I did some research my self about using U.S unlocked iphone in Korea. The reality is, it is very difficult to use unlocked iPhone in Korea. First you need to register your iphone's IMEI with KCC, which will cost you about 500 dollars. After, you will need to beg cell phone company to activate your iphone to the whitelist. I gave up trying to use my iPhone in Korea, due to complicated steps I need to go through, the cost of around 500 dollars.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, thats a real pain in the ass.
    I wouldnt bother either.