iPhone use overseas...help please!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fourfitts, Feb 16, 2013.

1. fourfitts macrumors newbie

My wife and I are going to Paris next week and after exhausting all resources (calling Verizon, Trip Advisor and numerous Google searches) I am still left a little confused. I would like to be able to send and receive text messages (without the use of wifi), without receiving obscene data and roaming charges. Most threads and articles I read just say turn on airplane mode and use iMessage over wifi. While this will work for the most part, we are leaving a business and two young kids in the states and we'd like to be reachable via text in an emergency. So what I'd like to know is if I turn off data roaming and disable fetch new data for my email BUT leave cell data on, will I get exorbitant roaming fees? Thanks in advance!

2. fourfitts thread starter macrumors newbie

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You will pay for each international text message, per your carrier plan.

4. laudern macrumors 6502a

America has terrible roaming charges and you will get screwed. My advice is to go over to Paris and buy a pre paid phone over there and you will be able to send sms back to america at a much cheaper price. Majority of the world has pretty good pre-paid plans, except for america/canada...

5. HiddenPuppy, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013

HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

I lived in France for 26 years and visit every year. I too am with Verizon. What I do is this, activate global plan the go to:
    Settings -> General -> Cellular -> Roaming -> chose only voice.

Now what that will do is shut off data and you will send and recieve text messages as normal, also calls.

Now the "bad" calls are $1.00 a minute and .05 cents for each message received and .50 cents for each message sent. Believe me it does not take much to run the bill up at those rates.

If you have an iPhone 5 you can buy a SIM there and activate it and that would be a lot cheaper, you just would not have your normal number. All Verizon iPhone 5 come unlocked and ready for use with another SIM

If you can do on wifi it will be no cost and you won't have to worry about calls. The calls are what kills me.

P.S. Something that has nothing to do with your phone but, make sure to contact your credit card company and let them know you will be using your card overseas or they might shut it down when they see charges coming in from a foreign country. I have seen this happen with folks that have been with us and they forgot to do this.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

As other mentioned: switch off data and use wifi is the best way to avoid extreme charges. I did it wrong on my first trips with business iPhone and got messages from my carrier that I exceeded some limits. It still worked but I made them "happy". Now I switch to kind of 2G, no data. When I switch on data to check email it is very controlled and time limited.

For emergencies you can be reached by voice. Much better anyway. Rest goes wifi.

You might can rent a domestic local wifi router at the airport in Paris to make sure you have connection all time or when the hotel don't offer proper service for that.

Here one I just googled; not cheap :mad:
    http://www.mobile-phone-france.com/fiche-produit_en_01_92_04_01.html