iPhone used as a tethered Internet connect 4 desktop

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by irthy, Aug 8, 2010.

1. irthy macrumors member

I have mywi which works great for my wireless laptop but what if I wanted to use my 3G connection for my none wireless desktop comp. Is it possible for my desktop computer to use the iPhone basically as a tethered (USB) 3G modem allowing me to surf the web on my desktop.

I also have access to wireless signal but no wireless reciever on my desktop. Can i turn my iPhone into a wireless reciever for my desktop? The wireless router is to far to connect it with a Ethernet cable.

Thanks

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

it is possible, but why would you want to?

EDIT: by that I mean, would you really prefer doing this rather than getting a wireless adapter or a longer ethernet cable? I think you're making it more complicated than it has to be.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

There is a thread on this subforum about enabling native tethering. That will allow you to use your phone to tether your 3G connection. I do not know of a way to use an iPhone to tether a WiFi connection over USB.

That said, USB wifi adapters are pretty cheap these days.

4. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

If you can connect laptop to your iphone through USB, then you can do a desktop the same way through USB.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You can use MyWi with the USB to tether your desktop, just enable "USB Tether" on the main screen.

You can also use it to connect to the available Wifi you mentioned all you have to do is enable WIFI bridging, BY default the 3G is bridge to the device, you can connect your phone to those available Wifi and bridge the Wifi to the USB and that will allow you to use your phone as a wireless card for your desktop.

Note that some users had reported some issue with the current version of MyWi and Wifi bridging, but you can give it a try.

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I would just buy a wireless PCI card for your PC and use your existing home connection. You could probably get one for like <$20 bucks on CL.

7. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Something everybody seems to ignore with MyWi and accessing it wirelessly is that it uses WEP encryption.

WEP encryption can be broken in less than a minute with a modern computer. While this would be acceptable to tether something like your iPad, I would definitely think twice about using anything different than a USB connection when accessing via a laptop and visiting something like my bank's website.

8. irthy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the usb tether works great on mywi. Using it now. Reason is because I'm on vacation but need to bring my desktop. Don't feel like dropping the coin on a wireless receiver. The iphone takes care of that. This phone is just amazing!

9. irthy thread starter macrumors member

yeah not sure if it's using the 3G signal or the wifi signal. How do i know if bridging is enabled? I have the iphone 3GS.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

[​IMG]

Mywi USB - set it to ON

and then Inside "Advanced USB" you can set it to bridge to 3G or to WIFI

[​IMG]

11. irthy thread starter macrumors member

cool. I guess that's on 4.0 cause i don't have that on my 3.4 version. I needs to upgrade.

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

My bad, I thought you were using the most current version, That is indeed V4.