Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimmer-man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
I have been fascinated with a story that's hitting the web the past couple of days about a Disney vacationer who had his iphones, wallets, cash, credit cards and camera stolen but got all of it back after pursuing the crook by using his iphone's "find my iphone" app. This isn't the first time we've heard of stories like this, but the action and police chase makes this like something you'd see in a movie..

Check out his story at http://www.davelongstrethmusic.com/?p=121

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
In the news story, the guy mentions how Find My iPhone costs $100 per year. :confused:

drummr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
The news story in the video says the software used to locate the phone cost $100. I guess they didn't know you don't need a full mobileme subscription to use findmyiphone...

Anyway, awesome story. Exactly why everyone should have findmyiphone installed.

zimmer-man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
there should be tracking in all electronic devices.

i agree! I often thought that it would be great if the small tracking devices would be available to the general public and you could stick them on anything. But then one day the thought occurred to me that if they were available to anyone, then criminals could use them for God only knows what sort of things.. Technology comes with a price in more ways than one.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Sounds like a load of poo to me. My brother works Disney property as an Orange County Sheriff and he read this and laughed. I'm not doubting he found his belongings with find my phone program, just the very theatrical manner in which he describes the way things went down.

Seems to me he isn't very smart keeping so many valuables in an un-secured bag but what was that thing PT Barnum said..... something about a fool? ;)

My favorite part is how he keeps asking people to violate another person's civil rights by "searching" him. Guess stupidity with your expensive items trumps others rights.

zimmer-man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Sounds like a load of poo to me. My brother works Disney property as an Orange County Sheriff and he read this and laughed. I'm not doubting he found his belongings with find my phone program, just the very theatrical manner in which he describes the way things went down.

Seems to me he isn't very smart keeping so many valuables in an un-secured bag but what was that thing PT Barnum said..... something about a fool? ;)

My favorite part is how he keeps asking people to violate another person's civil rights by "searching" him. Guess stupidity with your expensive items trumps others rights.

Google the story. It's on a reputable news site at wpxi.com and the man who was named as the criminal - his orange county sheriff arrest record is here http://www.jailbase.com/en/arrested/fl-occ/2011-03-16/david-ward-bain-11010547

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.