iPhone users in India - Airtel Carrier Settings LTE issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wannabelean, Feb 3, 2014.

1. wannabelean macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2009
    I was repeatedly getting the update carrier settings prompt and finally hit update and now I see that I cant go back to non 3G mode aka EDGE mode. 3G always has more call drops and kills the battery sooner than EDGE mode for me and I would like to downgrade. Do anybody know how I can do this? I dont know why Airtel is talking about LTE when they cant even get their 3G services right.
  2. 869639 macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2014
    I don't think you have any option without jailbreaking -- Installing SB Settings [unless its been updated as I have not used it since june 2013] - It was the only option here in north america to turn off 3G.

I feel bad for you as India has the poorest networks in the world, the companies / government has not put any resources towards building evolving networks for the past 10years, 2G/EDGE is the absolute best service offered in 2014 in India.

I was there for a couple months recently and it was a sad situation with 3G...I used Reliance in my area as that was the only 3G available [the experience was poor as the phone would loose service in my pocket and in village areas....at times even on the highway....only in major cities I got 3G. Airtel 2G was great as it offered fast speeds for a 2G network and a stronger signal than its competitors [no 3G was available anywhere in Punjab]

Sad they are giving LTE settings to their iPhones when their 3G is not even readily available throughout all of India.
  3. rit macrumors member

Mar 1, 2012
    Could you get the solution to this problem? Yet?
  4. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2009
  5. karan.k macrumors member

Sep 22, 2013
    You need to jailbreak first and delete a file in the carrier folder. That's how I got back the 3G toggle
  6. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2009
    yeah? more detailed instructions please. Thanks