Iphone users, of the two choices, what is your priority: ios or hardware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pat500000, Sep 24, 2017.

?

what do you value the most?

1. Ios

48 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. Hardwares/specs

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. pat500000, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

I'm curious to what do you value the most: ios or hardwares/specs?
    I ran into some videos earlier today about user experience in regards to ios and specs.

2. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

They are both equally important!

Though for iPhone upgrades, hardwares/specs are highest priority, because you can upgrade software to better take advantage of hardware, and unlock new features the hardware may have to their potential. Though hardware cannot be upgraded... the iPhone X has no TouchID. It's never going to have TouchID unless you buy a new device.

3D Touch is disabled for specific functionality for a brief time in iPhone 8, 8+... but the hardware supports it, software kinks need to be ironed out to turn that back on.

That said, iOS being prettier and being able to do more things doesn't hurt, but it's always within the confines of the hardware. Augmented Reality for example, just doesn't run on legacy iPhone 6 and below because of hardware limitations, not software.

3. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

one choice.
    It's about priority. Both are important, but what is essential for you if you had to choose one.

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

For me it's iOS. I am getting rid of an S8 Plus to get the X because of iOS. The Samsung hardware is really nice but for me android just doesn't do it for me in the way that iOS does.

5. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I care about design the most. But if I had to choose hardware vs software. I would choose hardware. The way the phone looks physically is very important.

6. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

This is easy. iOS. Some very good hardware out there but crap overlays ..I have no patience. ..& I’m too old and have no time to be dealing with custom replacements.

7. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

It's easy for some, but not to others. Everyone is different...so i just want to observe their response and thinking.

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I don't want either hindering the UI or UX.

I chose the iPhone 8+ over the iPhone X because I prefer the 8+ hardware despite it no longer representing Apple's flagship hardware.

So I guess for me hardware is secondary to what I believe will be the better implementation of iOS.

9. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

With smartphones, I value continued support through software and security updates so iOS is probably more important to me. Although, Apple seems to be doing well in the specs with their processor so I kind of feel like I have both with Apple products. You can argue that design/aesthetics are important but having a similar design allows for accessories to stay relevant for longer.

10. burntomaro macrumors member

I don’t really like iOS but it works very well at what it does. I prefer the customization of android but I’ve invested to much in the Apple ecosystem so I stick with it.

I wish they would make it more customizable. Not sure why they won’t. Hell, at least give me the option to stick an app anywhere on the screen and add widgets.

11. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Meant easy for me. Assumed everyone was answering individually.

12. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

Hardware or software?

13. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

When you say hardware, are you including:
    - Functionality: (FaceID, TouchID)
    - Specs: (Processor Speed)
    - Design: (Slimness of Device)

Or is Design not a part of that?

14. xxray macrumors 6502a

iOS is the reason I keep buying iPhones. Samsung has great hardware but ****** software. It is great knowing that iPhones have the fastest mobile chips ever and some of the best cameras though too.

15. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

Hardware as in whatever you can think of..spec and design.

16. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Okay, assuming the current state of iOS software and hardware, I'd prioritize hardware (even though the OS does need more work).

17. drzen macrumors regular

drzen

I used only Android phones (the Nexus phones) until I got my iPhone 6 a couple years ago. I just upgraded to the 8.

I still prefer the way Android does a lot of things better. The notification system is better, the ability to use default apps is better, the ease of sharing content via apps of your choice is better implemented. Google Assistant and well integrated search is miles ahead of Siri.

However, I would not use Android if it isn't stock or near stock (like Oneplus' Oxygen OS). I would probably never use a Samsung phone for this reason.

So why did I switch to iPhone? iMessage is great. The build quality and materials are great (although Samsung has caught up and exceeded in some respects). The overall longevity of iPhone is probably better (although my iPhone 6 suddenly crapped out at around two years), and also the OS updates.

At this point, if Google after their recent HTC phone team acquisition were to come up with a solid competing device with great design, I would not hesitate to jump ship back to Android.

Apple is really skating on thin ice at this point, in my opinion.

18. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Agree with pretty much all of this.

19. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Ditto. The one thing that iOS has even though there is a host of things that iOS does better that I've noticed... is stability. iOS is much more stable than my experience with Android. Greatly reduced random crashes.

20. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

What exactly is apple skating on thin ice? Ios?

21. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Ultimately having great hardware is pointless if there isn’t great software to make use of it. But on the other hand great software can compensate for lesser hardware if required.

For me it’s iOS 100% the priority. I like the way it integrates my phone, tablet, computer all as one seemless operation. It makes it all useable with a great user experience.

22. Veridis macrumors newbie

Veridis

iOS. I had many Samsung phones and my latest Android was the Nexus 6P. Android tends to have more functionality but is less consistent (yes even stock Android). iOS has more consistency but lacks some functions.

When I bought the Nexus 6P my son wasn't born yet. Now as a young parent I decided I needed more consistency in my phone than features. The lack of AMOLED and oudated design of the iPhone 8 plus didn't deter me, because I was buying into iOS, not so much the hardware.

23. drzen macrumors regular

drzen

It's a combination of elements, iOS is only a part of it. Five years ago, the iPhone name immediately brought to the consumer's mind an uncompromised top notch hardware + software experience. It's what made iPhone such a great brand. You expected that it was the very best there is.

Back then, Samsung was accused of being a copycat, and always a second-rate experience with crappy design, crappy build materials, and a crappy UX. That has changed and Apple lags behind even budget brands when it comes to bringing to market useful new software design and functionality. Even their build and design has been surpassed.

Although I still bought the 8 and will love and enjoy using it, it is apparent to most that in many regards we are now settling for second best - whether it is screen resolution, design, or functionality like so-called fast charging which has proven in informal testing to lag far behind other Android brands.

Mercedes says "The best or nothing". That used to be Apple, too.

24. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

So far, more people are leaning iOS as prioirty.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    I hear you.

25. Hitch22 macrumors newbie

Well if it wasn’t for iOS I would have a S8 now. Getting a bit tired of these bezels and I’m not paying $1,450 for the X.