iPhone users suffering b/c of Apple/Google war. What are we missing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PecanEater, Aug 24, 2010.

1. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

I know about Google Navigation and Google Goggles and Google Sky Map. What other Google mobile products are iPhone users missing?

I think that innovation in the Android market is generally good for iPhone users b/c it pushes Apple to innovate. But the lack of access to Google products sucks. Is it going to get worse?

I'm also wondering if the iOS4 Maps bug is ever going to get fixed. If this falls into Google's purview it seems like there's a bit of a disincentive for them to fix it.

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

apple is working on a new mapping product. might come out in 4.1 or 5. probably next year in iOS5. it's really Apple's fault, Bing Maps is better than Google maps at most things but Apple refuses to use it

3. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Using Google Voice as my voicemail service works pretty well. It's integrated into my phone (Droid X) and I can even set it to send me a text of what the voicemail says in addition to being able to listen to the message like normal. The voice to text transcribing isn't prefect but it's usually good enough to get an idea on what the message says.

I've even started to give out my Google Voice number instead of my actual number since I have much more control. I actually blacklisted someone the other day because of harassment. When they tried to call again, it plays a prompt stating the number has been disconnected. Pretty cool. :)

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

iOS4 allows you to set Bing as your default search engine.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Google Voice and Navigation are the app I really want Apple to embrace.

6. shandyman Suspended

you don't need google sky map, star walk is far far superior.

as for google navigation, blame google for that not coming as they said they're not doing it for the iPhone.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not sure what are you talking about, but Google said (and demoed) that the iPhone version was ready and running on the lab, they just needed Apple Approval, after several months of nothing happening they said that a "free" version would only be available for Android device, but a Paid version could be available for "other" OS if those companies aprove it on their system (mainly referring to the iphone)

8. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

I'm really embracing on Google Navigation and Goggles if the new iPod touch has a camera :D

9. shandyman Suspended

well the last that i read:

http://www.slashgear.com/google-denies-navigation-to-iphone-owners-2382986/

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/23...g-free-turn-by-turn-gps-navigation-to-iphone/

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Where in those quotes does it say that Googles doesnt want GN on the iPhone? All it says is that GN will not be coming to the iPhone. It does not give a reason. But, if I had to guess, based on past failed ventures (Google Voice, Google Latitudes, no gmail push until Exchange), the reason is that Apple would never allow it. Remember, Apple has final say what goes on iPhone.

11. shandyman Suspended

i said that they're not doing it for the ipgone, which is what the article said. which implies that they didn't even submit it. you just stated you're guessing. you cannot present that as fact. so therefore, unless its stated anywhere else, its down to google. where is this demo of it on the iPhone as i've looked and cannot find it when searching on google.