iPhone users this is a MUST read. our iPhones are at stake(not kidding)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TeamDNA, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jumpmonger23 macrumors newbie

2. TeamDNA thread starter macrumors 6502

I am on these forums constantly and have not seen any posts about this..

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Heard about it last week, not that big of a deal for me personally, I never bought an iPhone to unlock it on another carrier..

Jailbreak, sure... but I mostly did the jailbreak for the tethering feature. Worse case scenario, I don't jailbreak and I have to buy one of the Virgin MiFi's... no biggie..

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I wonder if all the other people who've already posted this weren't kidding?

5. dojoman macrumors 65816

Oh great another "Read this...very important" thread. Old news buddy. Unless iPhone 4 is bringing 2012 Apocalypse early, this crap must end.

6. yifanlu macrumors member

MuscleNerd calls ******** on this, and I believe he knows more about iPhones then some random blog.

7. TeamDNA thread starter macrumors 6502

lose the tudes "brah" I didnt know simple as that.. Im not going to let some 15year old kids try to ebully me.. trying to get macrumors cred.. go somewhere else..

8. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Our iPhones are not at stake. If you break the agreement you signed and unlock or jailbreak, then your phones might be at stake. But if you follow the rules theres nothing to worry about. Big deal. Jailbreaking just f***s up your phone anyways, I did it to my 3GS and ran into problems all the time. If you just use it the way it's intended to be used, theres nothing to worry about.

9. germanjulian macrumors regular

so basically people steal from AT&T and expect Apple and AT&T not to do anything about it? buuu huuu

Facetime: No **** sherlock, same as facebook, msn, any other service

yawn

10. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Thank goodness for the situation we have in the UK where we have a massive choice of networks now and can even buy Sim Free iPhones.

The quicker AT&T loses exclusivity the better!

11. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

14. macgeek112 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this is as big an issue as "Alpha's" and this poster's wording makes it seem. You can tell by his sometimes subtle use of hyperbole that he is clearly an expert at the english language, and from what I can tell he uses it to instill a subconscious sense of overbearing authority and powerlessness. Lots of companies collect information like this, Google collects your IP address and location, if possible, every time you visit a page on google.com. A lot of the time the information is completely anonymous, like it is with Google, and there is no legal way to trace it back to the original person. I could understand why apple might want to collect information about how many people are using FaceTime, and at what demographics, locations, et cetera. Our "Alpha" never said whether the data is anonymous or not, although his wording seemed to suggest 'not.' Even so it comes down to how the use the information. I don't imagine they would ever share or sell the information, and I hardly imagine they would even care about it, on the person-to-person level. They would probably keep it locked up in their servers labled "Company Secrets" or whatever, so that they could then use the general information in advertisements, or as "material evidence" when pitching to companies like Cisco to implant FaceTime capabilities in their own products.

About the OTA carrier updates, these are, of course, confirmed by our first commenter. In the past Carrier Updates have done, well, nothing. It's possible that these carrier updates may, or may not, be more detrimental to Jailbreakers and unlockers, but unfortunately, you signed a contract to AT&T when you bought your phones, and saved $400 for doing so, that gives them the right to do this (read it if you don't believe me, some of it is shocking). If you bought your iPhone unlocked from Apple they are obviously not going to push mandatory carrier settings updates from AT&T, especially if you are not using AT&T. For those of you who really care, expert iPhone programmers like GeoHot or the Dev Team should have no trouble firewalling the incoming Carrier Updates, should they prove to be detrimental. If Apple and AT&T can't contact the phone, they can't lock it.

As for the jailbreak support for AppleCare customers, I am not well enough informed to tell you otherwise. In the Apple EULA that you agree to before using your iPhone, it states that any sort of unauthorized modifications, hardware or otherwise void iPhone warranty, and under the warranty section it says that only warrantable or warranteed products are eligible for AppleCare customer support, which includes Genius Bars and telephone support. If you do a fresh restore of the iPhone Apple cannot tell if you have jailbroken it or not, so you can still get your warranty. As for the other times, just don't call Apple if you don't want your phone blacklisted. The only thing that concerns me here is the blacklisting part. It seems that legally Apple has the right to refuse service to you if you jailbreak your phone, but their jurisdiction should stop there, if you ask me. I'm not sure what hidden clause of the National Vetrans Day Proclamation allows them the right to brick a phone that the user payed for, even if under contract. I guess we'll see how it all plays out, I just don't think it is going to be as big a deal as it's been made out to be.

Besides, MuscleNerd has our backs.

-macgeek112

15. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.