Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
I've posted this many times but I'll condense it down. This is from someone right now that my only Apple product is a iPhone.

- Build quality
- Availability of accessories
- In-store warranty support if I need it
- Resale value
- Software updates are always set in stone
- Reliable, easy to use camera.

For some more take aways, it's the fluidity and uniform software that keeps me on the iPhone. Performance is buttery smooth, I'm never left guessing with a iPhone.

I also really like iMessage. Majority of my family and friends use iPhones and this makes for group texting and sending pictures and videos very seamless. I always run into this problem on android.

I've tried android a lot, and a couple models almost get me to switch completely, like the Moto X for example. (1st and 2nd gen). But something about the iPhone and iOS keeps me on it. I really like Stock android but I still run into fragmentation, little performance dips, jerks, and janks from time to time, and it's really annoying for me.

I also find for web browsing Safari just crushes chrome in mobile performance. Also for media playback via music app, headphones and music playback sounds better with the iPhone too.

I could go on and on, but it's things like these that keep me coming back to the iPhone.

Why do I constantly switch to Android? The iPhone is a really, really boring device, for many reasons, but it works.

It's like that brand new Honda Accord. It looks nice, the interior is great with lots of features, resale value, good performance, drives well. But it's boring, everyone has one. Sometimes you would just rather drive a sports car instead, but in the end the boring sedan will be more practical in the long run.

Shrug.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I just love both OSes... Can't stick with one for good!

Switch between the Note 4 and 6+ every 3 days... :eek:

Do you actually have two SIMs or you swap SIMs? If swapping, I would get annoyed of having to do that by the 5th day haha

----------

What I really like about my iPhone 5 is that it's carrier unlocked and supports both GSM and CDMA. It also does not have bloatware. It's been my go-to backup device for times when I'm in need of a phone while my new phone is in the mail or lending it to a friend who has just broken their phone and needs a loaner for a day or two.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I use Google services. But I'm not using an OS that they have control over.

Uh, OK. I don't see much of a difference in reference to your concerns. Again, Apple and Facebook do the same things you expressed concern about. If you don't want those things happening, don't use a computer.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Do you actually have two SIMs or you swap SIMs? If swapping, I would get annoyed of having to do that by the 5th day haha

lol, I switch sims.. crazy I know.. but now it it just takes about 30 seconds not including boot time.

It's not every 3 days every time.. just when the mood strikes really! :D

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I do the same as M5Rahul with my iP6+ and Nexus 6.

However, as of late I've been using the ip6+ a bit more only cause of iMessage.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2014
Michigan
I jump around all the time... Up till now. I think I'm going to stay with my iPhone 5S. I've owned Android (Note Series, Lumia 635, Droid Turbo, Galaxy S5 etc) and even a iPhone 6 and 6+. Yea I know.. crazy right?

What makes me come back to an iPhone is not the iPhone so much as it is the ecosystem (iOS). I have an extensive library of apps, music and movies I have purchased over the last couple years. Sure I have some on Android but nowhere as much. I also like the fluidity and integration of iOS across devices.

I originally ventured away from the iPhone because I wanted a bigger display then a 3.5" (what I had at the time). Then It was other features like wireless Chi charging and iP67 etc..

iPhone's work great if you don't want a lot of hardware variation and want a very stable os and an extensive app catalog. You get limited choice on size, features etc but you get a very good user experience.

All just my opinion of course.

TMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2015
Sorry but 'pretty big small business' sounds just too funny (and yes, i know what you mean).

The phone doesnt keep up with 20k texts, but can you? At a text every two minutes 24/7 I doubt anyone can keep up :D :D

----------

Hah. I wish sometimes. Sometimes I feel like throwing the phone itself.

Actually little things drove me away from IOS. Scheduled sound profiles, customized ring and text tones, built-in satnav, able to remove stock apps (I REALLY don't need 'Stocks' permanently on my home screen), great notifications, including LED and so on.

Yes, a lot has been 'innovated' by Apple eventually, but they lost me for good.

And yes, customzing was one thing which kept me there. Not just the looks, but the fact Android is open source. As a commuter who travels 4hrs daily on a train, it is invaluable that you can put ANY movie or music formatted file on that thing and watch it without converting, or in fact, attach an external HDD and watch movies from there or just turn it into a streaming server and and and.

Each to their own of course (still got an iPhone as a work phone in case you wonder lol).

PS: Apple maps still thinks I live 10 miles away in the middle of a pond. You couldn't even find the pond because the city is still misspelt. Despite sending Apple mails about it from day #1 of mapgate onwards. So even when on business I can not rely on my work phone.

Apple maps seems to be pretty good here in Canada so far for me. But I've heard of nightmares with it.

I don't watch any media on my device, but I love sync with iTunes for music myself.

Stock apps - YES THANK YOU. I literally have a folder on my phone called "********" which is full of Stock apps ill never use.

Also. LED notifications are amazing. I've wanted this since forever.

Even though I'm an iPhone guy, its stupid not to admit that their are some stuff the other guys got RIGHT ON.

-TMacGuy

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
I just love both OSes... Can't stick with one for good!

Switch between the Note 4 and 6+ every 3 days... :eek:

This will be me. Only it's my 6+ and my S6 Edge that I'm getting tomorrow #### If only Apple and Sammy fans could coexist as well #

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I had the iPhone 4, sold it prior to my deployment and bought a HTC Aria just to use for my last month in the states. Had Froyo on it, hated it. Bought the 4S, liked it but wanted to try the Note 2 out, hated it. Then I figured I'd give a vanilla android device out and bought the Nexus 5, love it.

I'd upgrade to another Nexus device, but the Nexus 6 is to big for my liking so I'll stick with the Nexus 5 probably until I can't update the OS anymore or it breaks.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Had a Note 3, then a Note 4. Using an iP6 now, although also have a 6+.

My issue with Android continues to be sluggish responsiveness over time. This is almost always caused not by the OS itself, but all the apps that aren't designed to play well together.

I never experience this on my iOS devices. I certainly miss a few of the gimmicks available only in Android OS, and the Note line in particular, but those were sidebar features. Performance of the OS is core.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I flip between Android and Apple about 2,3 times a year depending on the device.

Each time I come back to iOS from Android I get that level of consistency with the battery, performance, and the OS.

With some of the Android's I have owned it was hit or miss performance and battery stability at times let alone Samsung phones bloating it up.

I really enjoy the best of both worlds but I know what I am getting 9/10 with iOS versus the unknown sometimes with an Android device depending on the line.

IdealTech

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2014
Canada
While Android devices and the software itself continue to dramatically improve year after year, it's the Apple support infrastructure and ecosystem that ultimately makes me stay with Apple.

Simply put, no other phone manufacturer offers the same kind of customer support that Apple offers. I can't even begin to describe how convenient it is to have an Apple store within 10 minutes driving distance where I can immediately have my device repaired or replaced within the same day. It's especially convenient for me since I'm rather picky about defects and having a "perfect" device.

It's really annoying having to ship a defective device back to a manufacturer and waiting several weeks for it to be shipped back.

However, I must say the Samsung Galaxy S6 is starting to sway my opinion. Its amazing hardware and especially that gorgeous AMOLED screen is irresistible :eek: Touchwiz is also not as terrible and ugly as before (subjective opinion, don't flame me to death! ;) )

Ron20

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2015
While Android devices and the software itself continue to dramatically improve year after year, it's the Apple support infrastructure and ecosystem that ultimately makes me stay with Apple.

Simply put, no other phone manufacturer offers the same kind of customer support that Apple offers. I can't even begin to describe how convenient it is to have an Apple store within 10 minutes driving distance where I can immediately have my device repaired or replaced within the same day. It's especially convenient for me since I'm rather picky about defects and having a "perfect" device.

It's really annoying having to ship a defective device back to a manufacturer and waiting several weeks for it to be shipped back.

However, I must say the Samsung Galaxy S6 is starting to sway my opinion. Its amazing hardware and especially that gorgeous AMOLED screen is irresistible :eek: Touchwiz is also not as terrible and ugly as before (subjective opinion, don't flame me to death! ;) )

Upside on android is that you can replace the themes. New launcher in other words. Not to mention custom roms. But I agree I have had issues with my galaxy s4 when I got it .to where it will cut off randomly. Att was no help so I tried full wipe still did it jail borke it and all is well. Now I am on a new factory jb version.

But I hope to buy a iphone 6+very soon

IdealTech

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2014
Canada
Upside on android is that you can replace the themes. New launcher in other words. Not to mention custom roms. But I agree I have had issues with my galaxy s4 when I got it .to where it will cut off randomly. Att was no help so I tried full wipe still did it jail borke it and all is well. Now I am on a new factory jb version.

Yeah, I agree, Android's customization capabilities leave a lot to be desired in iOS. But then, that's the upside to iOS as well. It just works, not much tinkering is needed. When I have to tinker with my Windows and Linux machines every day, having a phone that just works is nice.

I used to jailbreak my iOS devices, but a lack of needing the jailbreak capabilities and laziness made me stop. My vanilla iPhone 6 fits my usage case perfectly fine.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Having had every iPhone model between the original and the 4s, I moved to Android when the 5 was released because I didn't like the form factor of the 5. I stayed on Android and enjoyed it for 2 years but came back to the iPhone when the 6 was released: partly because I think it's a brilliant phone, partly for the tight integration with my Mac and partly because of the Apple Watch.
I still have Android devices (a Samsung Tab S and a nexus 7) and enjoy both iOS and android. However, for a Phone I think iOS just beats Android for my requirements

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
With android phones coming out that are on par with the iPhone what makes you stay with the iPhone after you tried those devices? I have not moved away from iPhone yet, but the new samsung galaxy s6 has me looking into it. If you did try one of these new flagships, why did you move back to iPhone or why are you still using that particular phone, android or windows.

Being that the U.S. Government has warned of Android's dominance in mobile malware, and that Google has openly stated that Android isn't designed to be safe, Android is not "on par" with iOS. Many people complain about Apple's walled garden, but this walled garden is one of the reasons that iOS is a better choice.

I started out on Android a week after the first Android phone was released and I stuck around long enough to become an Android developer - trust me, that platform is a mess. Google has a cavalier attitude towards their products, just search for a list of Google services that ended up in the graveyard, despite having a popular following, and you'll see what I mean. Google simply can't be trusted to be there.

I own an iPod, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, Apple TV, Airport Express, a Mac, and cloud storage and I have yet to see such an array of devices and services from any other manufacturer work together so seamlessly.

As far as I'm concerned, Android is a second-class toy that is only good for teaching children the dangers of mobile systems before they graduate to something better.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...warns-of-androids-dominance-in-mobile-malware

http://www.networkworld.com/communi...ndar-pichai-says-android-not-designed-be-safe

IamDave

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Personally I like the design of the iPhone's generally and they are the first phones I've had which just work. Oh how I mocked iPhone users until a friend of mine suggested I look at getting one. I caved in after 3 previous android devices (HTC, Samsung, Sony) all slowed down to a crawl within months. I tried the 4s and was sold on it then went on to buy an iMac. I like how everything integrates with apple and that I've generally had no problems with the 3 iPhones I've had.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've own Android phones, Windows phones and BlackBerry phones. I can say what apple provides as a complete package/ecosystem is what keeps me using the iPhone. No knocks on the Android OS, but I like what iOS. While I prefer the UI in the windows phone, the app selection wins me over with the iPhone. As for the blackberry, I only needed that for work and the iPhone easily replaced it for my efficiency.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England

It's funny you say that. My friend had a defective S4 with AT&T. It would freeze all the time and, he had to take the battery out a lot:(. He returned it and got a new one that worked flawlessly:cool:!

Ron20

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2015
It's funny you say that. My friend had a defective S4 with AT&T. It would freeze all the time and, he had to take the battery out a lot:(. He returned it and got a new one that worked flawlessly:cool:!

Ya pulling the batt isnt that fun due to I have an otterbox defender.

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Having had every iPhone model between the original and the 4s, I moved to Android when the 5 was released because I didn't like the form factor of the 5. I stayed on Android and enjoyed it for 2 years but came back to the iPhone when the 6 was released: partly because I think it's a brilliant phone, partly for the tight integration with my Mac and partly because of the Apple Watch.
I still have Android devices (a Samsung Tab S and a nexus 7) and enjoy both iOS and android. However, for a Phone I think iOS just beats Android for my requirements

Interesting. For phone requirements, I feel the opposite.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
In the last few years I've drifted back and forth.

iPhone 5, S4, iPhone 5S, S5, iPhone 6, Note 4, and lastly the S6.

The S6 is phenomenal thus far. To such an extent, I'm not sure how even the iPhone 6S can compete. Will be interesting to see how Apple responds in september

It's not really a big deal to switch back and forth. It's actually pretty easy.

The main reason I changed over initially was for a larger display, but now with AT&T Next I am no longer married to poorly supported and updated android phones for long periods of time. I can jump in and out at will for a low price.

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
After scoffing at Android for many years, I finally found Lollipop and the S6 Edge to be a combo that finally bested Apple's tired "thinner and golder" design philosophy.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I actually tend to use multiple phones from many different OS's. I'll consistently have multiple devices at any given time. I keep my primary as the iPhone simply because it functions exactly as I need when I absolutely need it. The other devices have their functions too but I'm consistently modifying my non- primary phones so they're a bit unstable.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
In the last few years I've drifted back and forth.

iPhone 5, S4, iPhone 5S, S5, iPhone 6, Note 4, and lastly the S6.

The S6 is phenomenal thus far. To such an extent, I'm not sure how even the iPhone 6S can compete. Will be interesting to see how Apple responds in september

It's not really a big deal to switch back and forth. It's actually pretty easy.

The main reason I changed over initially was for a larger display, but now with AT&T Next I am no longer married to poorly supported and updated android phones for long periods of time. I can jump in and out at will for a low price.
Seems longtime iPhone users have a hard time letting go. When I first made the switch to Android in 2010, it took me two- three weeks to finally set the iPhone down for good. I havent bought another since.
I've messed around with them as friends and family have them but the appeal isn't there.
But I'm a settler. I don't flip channels when I watch TV. I look to see what is on, go to a few channels and settle on one and stay there.
IPhones are good, I just prefer Android more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.