iPhone using 3G without permission?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Slinkington, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Slinkington macrumors member

Slinkington

Hi there,

I have an iPhone 4 on O2 Pay & Go. I've noticed that since I've had it (About 3 months) my credit would gradually decrease. I've been keeping a check on it now and noticed today that as I was playing Bejewelled 2 (using an offline game mode) all of a sudden I got a message pop up saying that I'd not be charged for 3G as I had just used £1 of data, even though as far as I'm aware I'm not using any data! This was also while on a train with free wifi.

I'm just wanting to use my phone for entertainment more than anything else. I never phone anyone and I send about 5-10 text messages a month, so £10 should last me a long time. Unfortunately this is not the case... :(

As of today, I have switched my iPhone 4 to Airplane mode, hoping that this would cut any sort of data transferring. But is this also blocking calls and messages? (I don't really understand what it does)

I can confirm that while I am not using my phone, my credit remains perfectly intact. It's as though I'm actually using internet features without meaning to do so, so could you suggest any way to make sure I don't actually have apps trying to connect?

I have apps such as Windows Live Messenger, Facebook, Twitter etc. is there a chance these apps could stay active after I return to the home screen? I noticed the app store alert me that I needed to update an app while I was out, also.

Any help or suggestions? Sorry for the looong post! :rolleyes:

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Airplane mode turns off the radio frequencies that allow data and phone functions; you can still use wifi. There's also an option to turn off cellular data. You'll have to experiment with cellular data to see if it does what you need.
    There's certain iphone apps that use data in the background; also, apps like facebook will use data in the background as well. For non-iphone apps, turning off push notifications will help some.
    Wifi doesn't stay active in the sense that you think. You kinda have to keep using it, to keep it from reverting to native data usage.

3. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You're welcome. Let us know how the experiment goes. I'm sure the info will be useful for other iphone users.

5. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

Okay, I've been fiddling around with the iPhone for a bit now, and when I shut off Cellular Data, for some reason my Wifi will no longer connect to my home network. (I don't think it's meant to shut off Wifi? Anyway it does... :/)

I went into the cellular data network settings and altered the APN (put a "1" on the front of both) while keeping Cellular Data switched to On. Now Wifi is functioning and it's not constantly trying to send/receive data and charging me for it.

It's a bit of a work around, and so far so good. I just don't understand why shutting Cellular Data off also disables Wifi. :I