iPhone using data while playing music?

Coasterfanryan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Pittsburgh Pa
Hello!

I've tried searching for my issue, but haven't come across a thread that helped. While playing music from the iPod app I seem to be always have the data "spinner" going. Now, I'm mostly on wifi so I haven't noticed any weird data spikes. My battery while listening to music always drops constantly, so maybe this is the culprit? I have tried a hard reset, restore, and I don't use Match or Ping. Does anyone else have this? Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Thanks!

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Hello!

I've tried searching for my issue, but haven't come across a thread that helped. While playing music from the iPod app I seem to be always have the data "spinner" going. Now, I'm mostly on wifi so I haven't noticed any weird data spikes. My battery while listening to music always drops constantly, so maybe this is the culprit? I have tried a hard reset, restore, and I don't use Match or Ping. Does anyone else have this? Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Thanks!

Is it happening other times? or solely when you're playing music. It could be your phone trying to connect to a server for your email/calendars/anything you have syncing on your phone. If it's doing it intermittently, it's most likely just syncing. If it's all the time, there might be an error with the server. Hard to tell without more info.

Comment

MrKennedy

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My 4S does this every time I launch the music player. Does that spinner only indicate cellular data transmissions? I thought maybe it was just the OS sorting out the audio files or something...

Comment

jt6572

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Perth West Australia
hi everyone,
i have had the exact same problem. the last 2 months my bills have been off the chart due to data usage; which was strange because i rarely use my phone for any web stuff or downloading.

i noticed just recently that the data indicator was going as soon as i opened the music player. i called my service provider (they were no help whatsoever!) and while i was on hold did a reset (or whatever it is called!) by holding in the home and power buttons together for a few seconds.

anyway, when my phone rebooted the data icon stopped showing?! inexplicable, but i thought i would share in case this works long term and anyone else out there is experiencing the same (very unfair) problem. for the record, i also turned off automatic downloading for music and apps via the store settings. i have just yesterday deleted my icloud account in an effort to resolve this issue. again, may not be of any help, but then just might...

Comment

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
anyway, when my phone rebooted the data icon stopped showing?! inexplicable, but i thought i would share in case this works long term ...

The solution to just about anything these days is to reboot.

REBOOT

REBOOT

REBOOT

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.