iPhone using data while playing music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Coasterfanryan, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Coasterfanryan macrumors regular

Hello!

I've tried searching for my issue, but haven't come across a thread that helped. While playing music from the iPod app I seem to be always have the data "spinner" going. Now, I'm mostly on wifi so I haven't noticed any weird data spikes. My battery while listening to music always drops constantly, so maybe this is the culprit? I have tried a hard reset, restore, and I don't use Match or Ping. Does anyone else have this? Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. gladoscc macrumors 6502

Definitely not normal, have you tried the genius bar?

3. /user/me macrumors 6502

Is it happening other times? or solely when you're playing music. It could be your phone trying to connect to a server for your email/calendars/anything you have syncing on your phone. If it's doing it intermittently, it's most likely just syncing. If it's all the time, there might be an error with the server. Hard to tell without more info.

4. MrKennedy macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My 4S does this every time I launch the music player. Does that spinner only indicate cellular data transmissions? I thought maybe it was just the OS sorting out the audio files or something...

5. jt6572 macrumors newbie

hi everyone,
    i have had the exact same problem. the last 2 months my bills have been off the chart due to data usage; which was strange because i rarely use my phone for any web stuff or downloading.

i noticed just recently that the data indicator was going as soon as i opened the music player. i called my service provider (they were no help whatsoever!) and while i was on hold did a reset (or whatever it is called!) by holding in the home and power buttons together for a few seconds.

anyway, when my phone rebooted the data icon stopped showing?! inexplicable, but i thought i would share in case this works long term and anyone else out there is experiencing the same (very unfair) problem. for the record, i also turned off automatic downloading for music and apps via the store settings. i have just yesterday deleted my icloud account in an effort to resolve this issue. again, may not be of any help, but then just might...

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

The solution to just about anything these days is to reboot.

REBOOT

REBOOT

REBOOT

7. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

8. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Exactly this.

Edit: Oh, wait. He said he's not. Though that is exactly what it looks like when I use Match out and about.

9. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

10. jt6572 macrumors newbie

thank you :)

i will say that here in australia i am with virgin mobile, and because i have never had such high bills they credited my account the extra i was charged. that was nice :)