Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Title says it all - when I'm plugged into the car and listening to music through the deck, my location services arrow is on. I'm not using any map services at this time.

This didn't happen when I brought the phone into the office and played music there.

This started when I updated to iOS6.

Nothing shows as currently or recently used in the locations services settings.

Ideas?

Thanks!

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Can you check your privacy settings to see which app is using your location?

The phone is supposed to use location data from drivers as a source to determine traffic, but it's only supposed to do it if your device is charging so it doesn't kill your battery. Was your device plugged in?

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I don't see that any app is using it, that's what's so weird.

It is plugged into power when it's in the car. But I only really notice it when I'm playing music (or using maps which I expect).

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Update - ok I guess it's the OS using it. As I left work I noticed location was on again and I hadn't started up music. I quit all open apps and it didn't go away. I then unplugged the phone and after 2-3 minutes the arrow finally went away. I plugged it back in (still no apps) and after 2-3 minutes it came back.

So what's it tracking? There is nothing in Location Services that says it's been used recently with the purple icon.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
If I recall correctly, Apple is using location data from peoples iPhones as a source for traffic information for the maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.