iPhone V.1 owners will be switching to Pre......riiiiight.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by =MuLti-CeLL=, Mar 5, 2009.

1. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Just read a ridiculous article, thought I'd share...:D

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/20358/

"Palm Inc.’s new Pre smart phone will lure customers away from Apple Inc.’s iPhone when their contracts start expiring in June, Palm investor Roger McNamee said," Rochelle Garner and Hugo Miller report for Bloomberg.

Garner and Miller report, "'You know the beautiful thing: June 29, 2009, is the two- year anniversary of the first shipment of the iPhone,' McNamee said today in an interview in San Francisco. 'Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later."

BwaHahahahahaha! Whatever.

MacDailyNews Take: The next-gen iPhone, of course. Not a piece of takeover bait that will likely be under injunction and proffering approximately zero apps in it's fake app store. Let's see, should we go with platform with what will then be well over 50,000 apps given current growth rates, or the one with no apps that also comes with nut-job backers who spout crazy-talk in public? Hmm, tough decision.

LoL. :p

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the pre isnt bad.....

at least it has features i want right? lol

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It's quality, not quantity that ultimately counts. Haven't you noticed a spike in apps that make gun noises recently? There's been like 10 of them in the last week or so. As we can see, good things coming out of that App Store lately...

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just another apple fan that posts a story on the forum to get the "mac army" to agree simply because it talks about an alternative to apple and how it should be unthinkable lol.....

6. =MuLti-CeLL= thread starter macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I couldn't help to laugh when I read this part...

'Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later."

I hope the best for the Pre and all and I'm sure it will be great but come on now.

7. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

i use to go on MacDailyNews but it is so irrationally biased it sickened me. As outrageous and completely incorrect the quote is their take is no better. What was the iPhone when it just came out? the same position as the pre.

And as more and more apps flood the App store it gets worse and worse quality and good stuff stuff that is harder and harder to find.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Kind of some bad reseach since I betcha a lot of the first-gen buyers, especially the people who bought one when it was first released, already have an iPhone 3G. Therefore, that slew of 3G buyers won't be out of a contract until next summer.

As far as me, I'm waiting until the summer to see what the next revision holds. The iPhone classic isn't all that bad considering I got it for $250, don't have to pay the extra $10/month data fee for 3G and get 200 free text messages. Working at a newspaper, I'm kinda wanting to make it last not knowing if the company will exist in a week or two.

9. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

this will go down as famously as the balmmer iphone quote/

Roger McNamee, America's Bagdad Bob...

[​IMG]

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Yup, definitely; these v1 iPhone owners have or will have the 3G iPhone...:)

11. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I wouldn't just because it's on Sprint. That alone would have me running for the hills. :D

I know I have a 3G but when I upgrade it will be something on AT&T.

12. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

13. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

exactly

14. Divebus macrumors newbie

Really? The iPhone was like a cattle prod up the cellular industry's ass! They were frightened of it a full six months before it came out and are still trying to best it two years later. Publicly, most competitors scoffed. Ed Colligan of Palm: "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in." I think that's a footprint on your chest, Ed.

The Pre may be a nice phone and all, but it's an "also ran" in the sea of iPhone wannabe noise. They're like knockoff Rolex watches. Sure, if you go down a feature checklist, there are plenty of phones that do more than the iPhone, but the overall experience from the actual users is that nobody does it better. This article has a deadly checklist about how the rest of the mobile industry can't get it right: http://www.mobileuserexperience.com/?p=591

You've just described trying to find software for the PC. A thousand titles that do the same thing, 998 of them are crap. How many iPhone apps are there that do nothing but fart? Then again, there are tons of unique quality apps available if you're not looking for that. Maybe there's something to making software harder to write and distribute.

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Sprint = no go.

And more to the point, I'm no leaving the iPhone for anything until someone matches the app store. Whatever else the ore offers, it doesn't have my 3rd party apps, and those make up at least half of my iPhone usage.

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Who said anything about Apple leaving a yawning gap between the end of contracts for previous iPhones and coming out with new contract version 3 iPhones?

Bit of an assumption. Apple locks in users through their contracts, and also the money and time investment in the applications bought and used. It's a big factor.

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Another excellent reason to avoid the Pre. Sprint = cruel and unusual punishment... LOL :D

18. slapppy macrumors 65816

If Apple continues to sit on their asses with the current core iPhone OS features, then yes. It can happen.

19. teiresias macrumors regular

Why exactly is this story being laughed at? I'm on a 1G iPhone and my contract is up in October. I'm definitely going to be scouting out the Palm Pre before I blindly lay down money on whatever version of the iPhone is out at the time - particularly if I continue to have the same AT&T coverage issues at my new place as I've been having.

All the Pre really needs to make sure they do though, if they want to cover their bases with the Mac users that use an iPhone, is to make sure it syncs seamlessly with Address Book and iCal. That would be an issue for me, and is one of my considerations.

20. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

How about this:

:rolleyes:

If he had said something like:

"We do expect a large number of iPhone owners to seriously think about switching to the Pre"

Then he would not be laughed at.

But he did not say that.

So he deserves to be laughed off the Internet for such a stupid comment.

That is, unless one really believes that 'Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later."
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If so, then that just puts one in the fool camp along with Palm investor Roger McNamee.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So a guy who has hundreds of millions of dollars invested in Palm says that the Palm is going to be successful?

Why is this worth posting? This is the same as when Steve Jobs says the iPhone is the best phone ever. Of course they're going to say that! It doesn't mean anything, does it?

EDIT: And do we laugh at Steve when he says the iPhone is the best phone ever? Honest question.

22. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Bad analogy.

Steve never said "Not one of those people will still be using an Blackberry a month later."

If so. Then he should be laughed at. But he didn't.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

When an analyst or a reporter says stuff like that, yes, we should ridicule them. It's their job to bring us knowledge and so it's ok to slam them when they do a poor job at it.

When someone who has millions of dollars tied up in a project talks, I expect them to say anything they possibly can say to help themselves.

So when Steve Balmer says Windows Mobile is great, or when Rob Glaser pretends that people want the REAL Media player on their computer, or when Steve Jobs say that people don't read, well, I don't mind that. I expect that.

But when someone like Rob Enderle says the same things, it's not ok because he wants people to think he's a journalist and his actions aren't consistent with that.

That's the difference, and this McNamee guy is well within the bounds of what I'd expect from him. So no, I don't see anything wrong with the comment.

24. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

a) leave eardele, reporters and analysts out of it, they are not in charge of the hundreds of millions of dollars that this person has sunk in the money pit called Palm.

b) You don't see anything wrong with one of Palm's largest investors hyping their product beyond any reasonable expectation at the possible and probable detriment of their stock and perceived backlash by the press and users?

(since his statement of "Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later." has no chance in hell of actually being realized?)

Um... Ok.