iPhone v.3 Needs To Step It Up!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drs68, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drs68 macrumors member

drs68

I won't lie one bit. I am envious of iPhone owners. The iPhone, in my eyes, is by far the best and most advanced handset on the market, with tons of apps, lots of games, awesome internet and youtube, and incredible iPod functionality. Having an iPod touch, I am fairly well acquainted with most of the non-phone aspects of the iPhone. But, as always, times are changing. The announcement of the Palm Pre at CES 2009 is only the beginning of serious competition directed at the iPhone this year, and I believe 2009 and 2010 will be epic years in the smartphone wars, with either great revolutionary or evolutionary strides being made and any handset not meeting those challenges failing. That is why I am worried about the iPhone. I spent the evening exploring phones that I normally wouldn't look at or take interest in, namely the Nokia N97 and Sony Ericsson Xperia X1. I must say that I was surprisingly impressed, as I came in skeptical expecting to find something similar to the HTC Touch Pro, something nice but not comparable to the iPhone. Boy was I wrong. And the fact is that each of these handsets will probably end up in the US market in some form or another before the year is out. So my question is this: How will the added threat of serious competition effect the future of the iPhone and Apple's decisions regarding it. Will Apple introduce a third generation iPhone to make it better prepared for future competitors, taking the phone another five years into the future? I sure hope so. So what will Apple do? The additions of copy/paste, mms, and video recording are certainly not enough to justify 3.0 hardware/software. So sound off in the replies.... what is Apple planning to do to counterattack.

2. overcast macrumors 6502a

Dual core, background applications.

overcast has spoken.

3. slapppy macrumors 65816

Apple at the moment, nothing. The competition, everything.

4. Katuls macrumors member

haha. Most advanced headset on the market? I love my iphone (I use it like someone would use a commuting vehicle), but it can't even run background programs, copy and paste, etc.

Google the Android OS and it's capabilities, and you;ll see that Android is leaps and bounds ahead of pretty much every other mobile OS.

5. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

gotta love the competition :D if not android then palm really apple is to smug about there phone, but if phones will have a equal or better experience then the iphone plus with all the functionality and then well iphone loses

6. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I love my iPhone, too, and I do use it like any other everyday commodity. Android OS definitely gives you more flexibility and freedom, but that's not for everyone. In my opinion, the iPhone UI and its usability beats those of G1 hands-down. All in all, it depends upon what you want from a smartphone.

7. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

TBH I'm getting more and more disappointed with my iPhone. It's really just a bunch of hype about usability that's lacking even the most simple features. I totally agree with you. :)

My ideal iPhone has
    -Updated interface with more customizability
    -more storage
    -more RAM
    -better processor
    -dual core
    -thinner
    -NO CHEAP PLASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -Copy/paste MMS and the other STANDARD features it's lacking
    -better speaker
    -larger screen
    -WAYYYY better resolution
    -ability to download video directly to the phone

LESS STUBBORNNESS ON THE PART OF THE MANUFACTURER........GRRRRR

8. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

My own ideal iPhone would have:
    • Eight-way 2GHz PA-RISC processors
    • 1200 x 800 LCD screen
    • Platinum cover
    • 2 TB SSD as storage
    • 8 GB RAM

:p

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Simple, we have already been told by Cook. Instead of improving their product, they plan litigation. If you do want to beat them with a product, beat them in the court room.

Really? Have you tried it out a bit? I found the G1 very easy to use. The UI was very intuitive and the touchscreen was very responsive (a quality I have only seen in the iPhone). The only problem I found with the G1 was the zooming in/out function of the phone.

10. deadsouls macrumors regular

exactly. this is what sucks people in. apple fanboys don't know what else is out there. they praise the iphone over and over as gods gift to the world without even knowing what other phones are capable of.

11. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

One can hope. :D I'm not expecting all of what I listed but if I were in charge of Apple, well, that's what you'd get.

12. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Agreed. The whole fanboy thing makes people sound stupid because they aren't open to anything else and have closed their minds to that fact that there is always room for improvement. I'll admit I haven't yet used the G1, but I am willing to try new things. I really do like the RIM interface and probably will like the Android as well. I'll go to a TMobile store this weekend to try one out. :)

13. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

Official iPhone 4G upgraded spec

8ghz CPU
    900000GB ram
    4684557545778555775444 TB storage
    4G connection
    49648543321121323 hours battery life
    And you Lyell me

Stop with next version crap sick of this god damn

14. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Right. Because anyone who chooses an iPhone clearly hasn't though it through. Millions upon millions of buyers, and every single one of them is just a poor brainwashed sheep, powerless against Apple's advances.

Give me a break.

See most consumers don't have the same requirements as geeks and forum posters. While you may need a phone that can copy and paste stuff between, say, your mail client and your IM app, most people want a phone that they can use to send some texts and make calls. You may see the lack of multi-tasking or the sandboxed applications to be major issues, but average people care more about the fact that the iPhone does a good job of playing movies and music.

So far, in the last couple months alone, I've used: the BlackBerry Bold, the T-Mobile G1, the Nokia N95, the Nokia E71, the iPhone, the BlackBerry Storm, and the iPhone 3G. Of all those phones, the iPhone had the best UI, hands down. Yes, it didn't support background tasks or copy and paste -- but for the main features of a smartphone (i.e. the only features that most consumers use: SMS, phone calls, e-mail, and light browsing) it does a damn good job. Is it perfect? No. But it does a stellar job at meeting the needs of most users, which is why it's been as popular as it has been.

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well, you are kinda wrong. The iPhone can do that, Apple just won't allow it yet. That's how it is with Steve.

16. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Yes.

Apple has lots to worry about. They are going to be overtaken in the smart phone market just like they where in the mp3 market.

Insert emoticon of pre user wondering why they can't play 3D games.

Insert emoticon of me saying "It's because your phone has suck hardware and you believed the hype."

Look.

The PRE is a low end POS. Palm does not mention this because they don't want to break Engadget's heart, but it is designed for the people that spend less then $100 on a phone.

There is nothing wrong with that, but the suck blogger "press" thinks the palm pre can actually go head to head with the iPhone.

With an HTML /javascript OS.

(no developer in his right mind going to put in work and try to sell a HTML / javascript app. free yes. )

Is once again wrong, just like the 99 things out of 100 they are wrong at each week.

So the -Amiga- Palm Pre fans can cling to whatever beliefs they want but the simple fact is that this phone is more of a threat to Samsung's 100$ and under line then anything else. (and even then they are going to be a fly on samsung's back.)

The 500 lbs elephant in the PRE room right now is price.

Anything over $149 and they are dead now. Anything over $99 and they are dead a year from now.

I predict major subisidies to get to $99 (on the sprint network. cough. cruddy cough. (and this is assuming the dead phone company walking is still around in 6 months.)

Then the Sarah Palmin of phones will be in position to start selling to their real customers::

People who need a phone MOSTLY for phone and texting (nothing wrong with that) but do not spend more then $99 for a phone and in fact balk at $50.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.