iPhone v2 Release Date?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jpk32092, May 22, 2008.

1. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

The main rumor floating around is that the release date is going to be June 9 for iPhone v2. But how would that work if Jobs announces it on June 9? Lining up, etc.?

2. neven macrumors 6502a

Don't believe it. It's a pack of lies.

Here's my two-cent guess, and you shouldn't feel any obligation to believe me (or consider me credible) either:

- The new iPhone will be shown and announced on June 9 as part of the WWDC Keynote. We'll also be given the shipping date.
    - This will likely be June 27.

It would be crazy to put it on sale at the time when thousands of top members of the Mac community are at WWDC, lining up for sessions.

3. robhedin macrumors regular

I'd extend that with two things:

1) a good number of developers are going to be there explicitly for the iPhone, and presumably would want/need to be able to test on the new device as well (perhaps to determine type of network access WiFi/3G/Edge/None) and I can't imagine Apple throwing up any more hurdles than necessary for them to obtain devices. While I wouldn't put it past them to "give" attending developers a "free" iPhone as a gift for showing up, neither do I think they're going to do anything of the sort.

2) Apple seems to like spectacle. Witness the release of the iPhone last year, to the release of new OS for the Mac. I'd expect they'd want to announce a date for availability just to start getting people hyped for actually getting it. Think store closures and reopen with lines, because I'm sure people will be lining up if at all possible. Announcing and available same day makes this kind of spectacle impossible.

I expect announcement on the 9th, with the earliest availability on the 13th (as most of WWDC is over by 3 or so), with the most likely date to be the 27th to coincide with the anniversary of the release of the original iPhone as well as AT&T's "event".

rob.

rob.

4. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Here...
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=438408

Enjoy all 25 pages of it. :cool: