Iphone Verizon question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajpslp, Jan 14, 2011.

1. ajpslp macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if turn by turn GPS will be active on Verizon's iphone. I do have a Droid and had the Google maps GPS that is better then my Garmin portable device.. I will be getting the IPhone but need the option of having the GPS (its free on Androids) . Does ATT have this free ?
    Also have about 700 songs and less then 200 pictures now , do u think I should stick to 16gig phone ? One last question- Does the phone automatically sync with ICAL ? as i keep schedules etc on my macbook now and need to have it synced.
    thanks

2. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

1. Google navigation is an Android exclusive. iPhone only has a half-assed turn by turn with the regular google maps, but nothing close to navigation. It's a tradeoff. I believe the AT&T service is not free, and in fact a monthly service.

2. 16gb is more than enough for you.

3. I think so, but only through a sync, not over the air, that would be with mobile me.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

-Regarding Navigation, I remember reading that their will be no pre-installed apps on the Verizon iPhone, and that it will be the exact same experience as the AT&T iPhone 4, which means no Turn-by-Turn navigation. But, I do remember reading that Verizon will make available some of their Apps found on other phones available in the App Store for download if you choose to, but I don't remember exactly which apps those were.

-16gb should be enough memory for you, it actually enough for most.

-2 ways to sync with iCal:
    Plug it into iTunes and Sync over your calendar, but every time you add a new appointment on your MacBook, you must manually sync your iPhone.

Use Mobile me to Sync over the Air (without the use of iTunes, but Mobile Me is a $99 a year service)

*iCal syncing option in iTunes
    [​IMG]

4. secondhandloser macrumors member

Agree with this, but if you setup iCal through Google calender, you can have sync them wirelessly.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

^^+1

6. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Do you only need google calendar sync for this or google sync which is not free?

I know Google will sync your gmail calendar over the air with its gmail integration with android...

7. jaycab macrumors newbie

There are Apps that can be purchased for navigation. I myself bought the TomTom USA app which is not bad for when i need it. If you are planning on using the GPS every day. I would consider buying GPS only device

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

just a gmail account, then under Preferences in iCal, just log in using your email and password to start the sync. To start over the air sync from your iPhone, go to "Mail, Contacts and Calendar" and add you gmail account, and turn on Calendar to sync.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    (click to enlarge)

9. ajpslp thread starter macrumors newbie

I would need my "soon to be new" verizon iphone to sync with my icalendar. My android did work with ical for a long time and just stopped working .. never researched it further. I see Garmin has streetpilot on App's so maybe for $39.95 i would just pay for it . I only use GPS once a month or so, but so handy to have on my droid so figured to have it on my iphone..