iPhone + Verizon = RAZR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carebearsx3, May 3, 2010.

1. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

I thought on the concept of having an iPhone on Verizon.

If the most popular phone is on the top carriers in America (AT&T and Verizon), would that not make the iPhone seem outdated, such as the Moto RAZR? Think of all the people you know that have iPhones, and now double that. Too many in circulation makes it seem that you're just following the crowd.

Agree or no? Leave a comment. =]

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

Do some more research on what happened to the RAZR. You'll see the dissimilarities.

3. carebearsx3 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

5. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Lame argument.

Buying an iPhone two years ago could already make it seem like you were just following the crowd.

6. pablo7 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

7. carebearsx3 thread starter macrumors regular

Why am I being classified as a troll? I love iPhone, and Apple for that matter. I just want your opinions on the thought.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

Seriously, the whole subject...every nuance, every thought, every opinion has been expressed over and over and over here on MacRumors. This thread adds nothing to the subject and will only serve to offer a platform to rehash the same points of view, with the same arguments, same name-calling, same opinions by the same people. There's just nothing left to say. But...in the event you've thought of something important, best to post in one of the many existing threads.

9. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

Yeah this topic isn't stupid at all, it's awesome, lets discuss this thoroughly.

10. army91c macrumors 6502a

Well at least he knows what he is, now where is the 10 step program to make him stop?

Ummmmm maybe because you joined yesterday and you're bringing up something that has been gone over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....

11. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Not really following the crowd, more about just wanting to get a decent phone.

12. TheColdest22 macrumors newbie

Why write back and waste your time if you dont find this argument compelling? This happens on so many threads on here where people complain about what questions people pose. If you find it meaningless then move on to a different thread that you do find interesting.

13. john3478 macrumors member

The different are Razr did not have AppStore. That's why the iPhone will not outdated

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

Great

I can see it now Iphone Vs Razr, or a thread should I trade my Iphone 4 a Razr! poll Iphone or Razr! :rolleyes: next thread please!

16. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I think this is a valid question. Think about it.

The RAZR started off on one network, and then expanded to just about every other network. It was insanely popular, and everybody wanted one. Just like the iPhone.

However, the RAZR was just a regular phone, which everyone could afford the plan for. This is the key difference here.

The iPhone almost always requires a data plan. This is out of reach of some people, and just plain not required by others. Therefore, even if the iPhone were to show up on every network, not everyone would go out and buy one, because it would be over kill for there needs.

In fact, in Canada, you can get the iPhone on all three of the major networks, plus two of the sub networks. I still see lots of people here with Blackberries, HTC's, Moto's, and Samsungs.

There's plenty of choice to go around.

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Every time this opinion is expressed (and it has been expressed on here dozens of times, trust me) I find more pathetic. Making one's phone choice dependent on its exclusivity is incredibly shallow. I didn't buy my iPhone as a status symbol, but because it is quite simply the best phone on the market.

18. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I think it's a valid comparison to an extent... the razr, like the iphone, started off at a rather high price that made it out of reach for most people. Then eventually it dropped to a more affordable $250, which is when everyone started buying them.

Thing is though, Apple is continually making improvements to the phone. Motorola let the razr stay unchanged for far too long, and allowed the competition to grossly surpass them.

19. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

RAZR was:
    - quickly price dropped, allowing the masses to not even think twice about the cost. I seem to remember that it came down to the $50 price point rather quickly, and once there, it was a no-brainer upgrade compared to the $50 competition.
    - the thinnest, most widely available phone for a LONG time. It shined in a world full of thick bricks.
    - able to NAIL over-the-air performance due to plenty of time to perfect the antenna design as the form factor didn't change much. Its numbers in a testing chamber I used to work at were depressingly awesome, considering it was our competition.

While people might argue that the RAZR stayed the same for too long, I would instead cite that idea as a reason for its success. You have to take it for what it is/was: a regular old clamshell (except for the thickness). How much innovating were you going to do with it? HSDPA? With a ****** web browser? It was up to Motorola to come out with something new after that cash cow had effectively gone to pasture...

With phones these days, you have giant touch screens that are in effect blank canvases, and I don't think they're going anywhere until the next paradigm shift, whatever that may be.

20. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

How does that make him a troll? If he just joined, maybe he's never seen the 3 million other threads. Heck, I visit here daily, sometimes more, and I'VE never seen another thread on this subject.

Maybe you guys should be a bit more welcoming once in a while to new people. Geez.

/thread hijack