iPhone, Verizon's 11th Device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shadrap, Jan 7, 2011.

1. shadrap macrumors 6502

There were 10 Verizon LTE devices at CES. They are holding the supposed iPhone announcement on 01-11-11 at 11AM. Is it possible this is going to be a 4G LTE compatible iPhone? Making it the 11th device, hence the obsession with 11.

I mean it kinda makes sense.

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Shadrap, I'm excited about the possibility of a Verizon iPhone as well, but stop creating new threads on the subject. Especially for trivial questions as this.

BTW, related to Abednego? :p

3. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

No LTE is not ready...IF there is a Verizon iPhone it will be CDMA.

4. shadrap thread starter macrumors 6502

Na, never met him. But will watch post. Not trying to irritate anyone.

5. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

As I read somewhere this week, The first iPhone could have had 3G but apple decided to wait for more 3G expansion from AT&T...and I know this to be true because I had a 3G Sony Ericsson phone on Cingular in 07 prior to buying my first iPhone...Apple will wait until AT&T's LTE is introduced Or verizon expands LTE

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

can i get a link to the list of the 10 LTE phones Verizon already announced? google didn't help:confused:

8. shadrap thread starter macrumors 6502

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Verizon's LTE currently covers as many people as ATT's 3G did when the iPhone 3G came out.

It would also be a letdown if the Verizon iPhone (assuming there is one) was missing what their other new smartphones had.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

To be honest, I'm exactly 50/50 on the possiblity of it supporting LTE. Both arguments have a lot of validity.

The one thing that might make me lean toward LTE support is Ivan's own statement is that LTE is how they will "earn" the iPhone.

I think I just talked myself into expecting an LTE iPhone. And that difference might be what sells me on switching.....maybe.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Not just "earn it". He and the COO have repeatedly said that they felt LTE was going to be the reason for Apple to "get with the program" (or something similar).

12. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

What verizon iPhone can use LTE right now, today? And if a verizon iphone is coming next month it makes sense for apple to release a CDMA only iPhone 4 on Verizon so they can fleece more dollars from big red's customers this summer when iPhone 5 is released....AND AT&T had 3G service when the original iPhone came out but apple held back in order to sell a new phone the next summer...this winter verizon iPhone release is just Apple throwing stones at google and android's "glass house" lead in market share

13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Maybe this is just Apple's way of setting us all up for staggered carrier releases

14. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

Possible multiple releases

It makes sense Sad Face. Call it smoothing the domestic cash flow. Multiple updates creates two big income bulges per year. Gotta like that as a stockholder.

15. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

It should also take some of the strain off the supply chain. It was impossible to find an iPhone 4 in Canada for 2 - 3 months after the release, if AT&T and Verizon both got the same phone at the same time every year, I shudder to think about how Apple would produce enough of them to meet demand.

If they stagger carrier releases, then it spreads the production out a little more, which should help...

16. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Product release..

Since att got the iPhone first their users get the luxury of standing in line when it's warm outside. Verizon customers, hope you can build a fire. :D

17. Applejuiced, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Apple was never the one to jump quick into new tech. Like with the 2G iphone and many other things including their computer line.
    They usually wait it out and try to get into it once the market and every kink is settled. And doubt they'd want to deal with the 4G battery issues that every 4G device has at the moment. Release an iphone thats power will last 1/4 of what its counterpart on AT&T would?

18. d.shorty1 macrumors member

i agree with this. It could very well be a CDMA only phone, and that would kind of suprise me. The rumors of it being GSM/CDMA hold no validity with me seen that Verizon, not Apple, is hosting the event. So why a SIM slot in this leaked redesigned iphone attenna? Either A-LTE capable in covered areas..or B-global roaming coverage.

wishful thinking maybe, but im leaning towards LTE capable. Everyone is talking how all this stuff is "not Apple's style" or "Apple wouldn't do that"...any many said that about the iphone 4 proto Gizmodo had. But guess what, it turned out legit. This is the future, not the past..we all live and learn.

But my reasoning is this. I am a believer Apple will have two iphone release cylcles. Probably Jan/Feb and June/July. This simply eases the demand strain on Apple and the suppliers...common sense. I

IMO, the verizon iphone is a huge leap forward, as my ATT coverage sucks here (edge only). But why not steal all the thunder by announcing not only a vphone, but an LTE capable vphone. The first LTE phone VZ offers. #11 LTE phone, announced 1-11-11 at 11am but 1st to be released..haha. All the news outlets back on Apple and all the 4G phones announced at CES releasing later this year are old news...VERY Apple-like.

Remember the rumor stating that Verizon will carry the iphone shortly after xmas and it would be LTE-capable? Who's to say this wasnt legit as well? Most of the other rumors tends to be turning into facts. I have read many rumor articles regarding the phone, and simply stating my opinion. I have no proof as I am simply trying to put 2 and 2 together. I could be totally wrong, but I dont rule out LTE on the VZ iphone until its announced otherwise.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its going to be a straight CDMA iPhone 4. The event next week will be nothing more then rolling out the iPhone 4 to VZW.

So that means if I'm right (which is a rarity :p), people who buy the IP4 on VZW will be locked into a 2 year contract just 6 months before apple rolls out the iPhone 5.

20. shadrap thread starter macrumors 6502

If it is straight CDMA, geeks like us won't care. We will just pay full price for the 5. I mean consider the millions of 3GS's that have sold on AT&T since the 4 was launched.

I believe the whole 11 thing plus the leaked iPhone 5 antenna parts to be too coincidental.

I am thinking it will basically be a iPhone 4 with a CDMA/ LTE chip. Then the iPhone 5's will launch in July with a GSM/LTE chip.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If it's a Verizon iPhone, it will simply be an iPhone 4 w/ CDMA chip. Do you really think Apple would introduce an LTE phone on Verizon and no one else? Lolz, they'd kill sales of GSM phones until the iPhone 5 is released.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple doesn't care for Geeks like us. Heck, apple fanboys say the andorid phones are for geeks unlike the iPhone that is marketed towards normal people.

the IP4 on VZW is going to be wildly popular and successful and though it will be CDMA only.

I don't think we'll see a mass exodus from AT&T because of the hefty ETF, but some will jump ship. What we will see is a lot of VZW customers buying the IP4

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Doubtful, new GSM sales will most likely be equally affected by a CDMA iPhone vs an LTE iPhone. This will be about Verizon vs AT&T. Now, LTE might pull existing users from AT&T, and why would Apple care? More sales for them.

The ONLY reason Apple won't roll out an LTE iPhone on Verizon is if they deem the tech not ready. Sales of a GSM phone....they won't care because they'll get the sale either way.

24. GolpherZX macrumors newbie

Who says Apple wouldn't have released a LTE phone if the carrier it was going to was ready for it? That carrier of the US is lagging behind and choosing to go with HSPA+ everywhere.

LTE is the future of GSM networks. Verizon is moving in the same direction as it's partner of Vodafone. Surprisingly enough, there isn't a Vodafone iPhone yet (at least just looking at their website - I could be very wrong in that they can still get it, just not thru the Vodafone website). LTE is taking off very rapidly. Heck, surprising enough for me, LTE already covers more land than Sprint's WiMAX where I live.