iPhone vermont use.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grout58, Sep 1, 2008.

1. grout58 macrumors newbie

Hey guys I am in vermont quit a bit for buisness and im wondering about the restrictions so I dont get my iPhone shut off. I have heard I cannot use more then 40% of my minutes which should be fine if its true. Im also wondering about is there any restriction on data use? Any info would be great since google isnt turning up much.

Thanks in advance.

2. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Are you a US AT&T customer?

3. grout58 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You should call AT&T. It sounds like you already have some incorrect informaiton.

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

If you live in the United States, why are you worried about using your minutes in another state? You can use your minutes wherever you'd like to.

6. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

he's worried because, a while back, when many of the forum members here were still in grade school, the contract said that they had a right to terminate your contract if a certain percentage of your minutes were spent "roaming"

if you mostly roamed on another carrier's towers, you didn't get charged, but your regular carrier was charged. It was a novel idea at the time to constantly force your phone to roam so you could potentially get booted from your contract without paying the ETF because you were too "costly" of a customer because of all the roaming fees that they to pay because of you.

do a google search for iphone and vermont. I remember reading recently that AT&T recently bought a smaller regional carrier so they could provide iphone service for a small state. i'm pretty sure it was one of the original 13 colonies, because i was surprised that the state did not have AT&T coverage

good luck

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    From the general AT&T contract (I couldn't find the iPhone specific contract offhand):

"If your usage of the Services on other carriers' wireless networks ("offnet usage") during any two consecutive months exceeds your offnet usage allowance, AT&T may at its option terminate your wireless service or access to data Services, deny your continued use of other carriers' coverage, or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for offnet usage."

"Your offnet usage allowance is equal to the lesser of 6 megabytes or 20% of the kilobytes included with your plan and for messaging plans the lesser of 3000 messages or 50% of the messages included with your plan."

To answer others: about 2/3 of the states have either limited or no, native ATT coverage. This means people who LIVE in those areas cannot buy and use an iPhone according to ATT contract, because they would be roaming too much.

However, Vermont is being added to the list of ATT home networks soon, so any limit should be going away.