iPhone versions on Swappa?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Feb 5, 2016.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I'm looking for an older iPhone for my mom (5S or 6) and I'm checking Swappa which I've only used a few times.

I see all sorts of different versions for the carriers and then different unlocked versions. If Swappa requires a phone to be paid off why are some of these still tied to carriers? Is it just that people are too lazy or don't know to unlock? I'd have thought even on the older iPhones they'd be either GSM or CDMA not tied to a specific carrier if it's paid off. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

2. aKansasKid macrumors regular

Swappa doesn't require or check that phones are paid off, only that the IMEI isn't blacklisted - yet. You're still at risk of buying a phone there that gets blacklisted after the sale, either from contract default or reported as lost or stolen.

3. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Well that's comforting!

4. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You're going to encounter some sort of risk whether you purchase the phone from Swappa, eBay, etc. Your best bet is to pay via PayPal since you are protected in the event that the seller reports the phone as lost/stolen or they stop making payments on the phone.

5. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Do you know off hand the length of protection offered by PayPal and/or Swappa? I could research it but I'm lazy.

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

For PayPal, you have 180 days to file a dispute. Swappa is pretty much worthless. Their staff will basically tell you to resolve through Paypal anyway.

7. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I have used Swappa quit successfully and both buying and selling phones. Technically, they do require that the phones be paid off before you can list them for sale, and they did check this. I know this because in the past, I was told this with a phone that had not been cleared yet from ATT. However, I have noticed as of late that people are listing devices that have not been fully paid off, especially iphones. For whatever reason, Swappa seems to be letting this slide. I don't know if they recently changed the rules or what.

8. aKansasKid macrumors regular

I bought four iPhones using Swappa before I finally got one that was free and clear. Heck, one was still active on an account and I could just started using it.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're missing many things.
    There's AT&T iphones, verizon iphones, spring iphones and fully unlocked iphones.
    Swappa DOES NOT require a phone to be fully paid off or out of contract or next payment plan paid off in order to sell or buy there. The only thing they require is that they have a clean imei/esn and are not blacklisted.
    https://swappa.com/faq
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2016 ---
    False.
    They dont require or check that phones are paid off.
    They just check the imei number if its blacklisted or not. And they never contact a carrier to ask any of your info and obviously AT&T or any carrier will not share your account info with 3rd party due to privacy policy.

10. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

You do check a box when you list that says you owe no payments on the phone. I know its not a check by swappa but its a requirement.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

Not sure about AT&T or Verizon phones but they definitely check T-Mobile phones for being paid off and if they're not paid off they can only be listed in the Boneyard.

12. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

In general, I believe it's usually a lot safer to buy from Swappa vs EBay. Just the IMEI check alone is a huge step in the right direction. So many dishonest people on EBay these days...not that there isn't on Swappa, as well, but I think Swappa in general has a much 'cleaner' reputation.

But others are correct; there's always risk when buying from either of these sites, so you just have to be a little brave. Swappa will just send you to PayPal for any kind of dispute so your best bet is getting familiar with Paypal's policies. Just try to buy from a seller with good feedback and you'll likely be safe.

Worst part about Swappa is no buyer feedback...some buyers are total garbage

13. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I have bought about 4 four phones on Swappa. Waiting on one today in fact. I have sold 6 on Swappa and I must say I am more nervous being the seller these days than the buyer. But as soon as my phone comes in I am going to call tmobile and see if they will tell me if its paid off or not. Not sure how that will go it is my first used tmobile phone to buy which I think is a hair more risky. But the person I bought from has a five star rating and 217 sales. So I like to think that is something they want to protect so I am hoping for the best.

14. TokyoProg macrumors newbie

TokyoProg

Well, what about the other companies. Glyde and Gazelle. Gazelle refurbishes. How good are their refurbishes? How does Glyde compare to both? Gazelle doe snot list the model number of an unlisted phone, such as 6S Plus. Their FAQ says they are GSM only.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's really no facility to do such a thing, eBay AFAK, doesn't, and of course Craiglist has not safeguards.