iPhone versus Nokia N95

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zarusoba, Jul 10, 2008.

1. zarusoba macrumors 6502

Having lusted after an iPhone 3G for the last few weeks, my Dad finally caved in and bought an unlocked Nokia N95 on ebay Australia for AUD$500.

How happy do you think he'll be with it? He's a big fan of iCal and iTunes. How well will the Nokia work with his Mac?

2. keltorsori macrumors regular

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

It's a different kind of phone than the iPhone, but I can't think of any truly negative reviews on it. Hope he enjoys it!

4. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Looks clunky. He should have waited...return it if you can.

5. chinodragon macrumors newbie

I personally own a Nokia n95 8gb, Its a great phone, i do not regret buying it, i have many friends with the iphone and i would still prefer my phone even though its not as pretty as the iphone

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's not "pretty", but usability of the iPhone that most people like. The clean, modern design of the iPhone is just a bonus.

7. zarusoba thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, thanks for the replies. I was a bit worried as Dad has been a Mac user since the Mac Plus days, and I thought this device might not be appropriate.

I wouldn't say that the iPhone deals are unreasonable, but they're beyond either his means or mine at the moment.

I've got a standard Nokia phone (not N95) with service provider 3 and it's not bad. Not as good as the Toshiba I was using in Japan, and surely not nearly as good as the iPhone, but it'll do until (if) 3 get the iPhone.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What's the difference btween an N95 and a 3G iPhone?
    You can get your hands on a N95...

10. Daim macrumors member

N95 is not overpriced

11. Cudadown macrumors regular

huh?

the n95 can run you anywhere from 350.00 to almost 600.00.
    iPhone is 199.00.

12. russellelly macrumors regular

THe Nokia Multimedia Tool integrates quite nicely with iTunes/iPhoto. Not as nice as the iPhone, but it's a decent solution. You'll can download it from Nokia's website (though it's quite well hidden!).

13. akbc macrumors 6502

I used to have Nokia N82 until I've got my current HTC TyTN II.

Nokia phones are great, richer features than iphone.

And when it comes to pricing, iPhone $199 needs a contract.. In your case, Unlocked N95 doesn't. So in the long run, it might be more beneficial.

Specially if you're in Canada like me, where Rogers loves to rape people with their $70 dollar iPhone plans with crappy data package :D

Anyways, my point is, I'm sure your dad will enjoy the N95. I loved N82 with passion and it worked flawlessly with the Mac Mini in my house. :)

14. zarusoba thread starter macrumors 6502

Not in this country, mate.

15. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Yeah, I can buy an iPhone here for $199, if I sign up to a contract at $250 per month for two years! Seriously.

The N95 has everything the iPhone doesn't. MMS, stereo Bluetooth, 5MP camera, video calling, a GPS that works, etc etc.

While the iPhone is obviously very very nice, the N95 has been around for a lot longer and is a proven performer. The N96 comes out soon, which adds TV features, and up to 32Gb...