iPhone versus Pre Calculus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hbg, May 21, 2009.

1. hbg macrumors regular

I've been debating this whole issue about whether I stay with my 3G or get the Pre. Here's the calculus, which definitely, thus far, favors the iPhone:

Favors iPhone:
    1. Storage- 16 gig (or 32 rumored on new) versus 8 on Pre- Just music and contacts take up 5.4 gig on present iPhone- leaves very little room on Pre for apps, data, etc. since it only has about 7 available.
    2. Touchscreen- when wanting to type on screen this is available on iPhone. Not available on Pre. (I know- someone will make an app for the Pre to do this- but this is not something that is sure to happen, or if so, when). Pulling out the keyboard every time I want to type a web address without an option to just do so onscreen seems annoying.
    3. Visual voicemail- Great on iPhone- apparently not available on Pre. This is a nice feature.
    4. Use of phone/email and/or web at same time- Can do on iPhone. Cannot do on Pre- on the CDMA Pre can't be on phone and surfing at same time.
    5. Ability to expand coverage footprint- Sprint is in poor financial condition and lacks the resources presently to invest in its networks that AT&T and Verizon possess. While it is going into WIMAX, it will be a long time (and Pre can't use anyway).
    6. App Availability- Lots of apps available now, plus worldwide presence of iPhone draws lots of new apps.
    7. Rural coverage- Far better with AT&T (but see Favors Pre item below).
    8. Mac Syncing- Ability to sync natively with Mac without using “cloud” (however, see Unclear item below).
    9. Proven Nature of Device- Pre is a 1.0 device (and still at this point vaporware until we get to see it in real life), iPhone now in 3.0 testing- Will the Pre work great on 1.0 or be full of bugs? I have the iPhone 3.0 beta and it works great.
    10. Grief from wife- If I line up for the Pre I'll get the same grief I got when lining up for the iPhone about why I waste our money on new toys.
    11. 1900 MHz coverage of Sprint does not penetrate as well into buildings- Much of AT&T's network is in the lower cellular band when much more easily goes into buildings.
    12. Apple has the cash to continue to grow the line and innovate- Palm on life support. I know, some will say Apple has not really innovated.
    13. Use of phone while on usb charging- Can do on iPhone- can't on Pre (but see Unclear).

Favors Pre:
    1. Multi-tasking.
    2. Qwerty slide-out keyboard- it would be nice to have.
    3. Rural coverage- Poor with Sprint, but get to roam on Verizon/ALLTEL who have very good rural coverage, especially here in the Southeast.
    4. 3G roaming- when out of Sprint market, can 3G roam on Verizon/ALLTEL- most of Verizon's network is now 3G, even in rural areas. A big plus.
    5. Boredom- Ready for New Geek Toy- I am getting bored with iPhone- new need toy. Pre would be it.
    6. Grief from wife- The grief passes fast.
    7. Wireless induction charging- This would be nice, especially when it is available in the car.
    8. Sprint and Pre are the underdogs- Underdogs usually work hard to prove they are better.
    9. Wireless plans cheaper on Pre (but there are rumored AT&T pricing cuts coming).

Unclear:
    1. Mac syncing- Sprint tells me Pre won't sync to the Mac- but will be Mark Sync available. Probably not a big deal- I sync through Exchange Server anyway.
    2. iTunes music- how will I import them to Pre?
    3. Will Palm survive to support the Pre and update?- Will Palm be around several years from now? Unless the Pre is a huge success they are on life support now. Even with a Pre success they are in such a deep financial hole they are a hobbled company.
    4. Lots of legacy Palm Apps- But How Long to Update to Run on Pre Natively Without Emulation?
    5. Sound level and quality on Pre versus iPhone- The iPhone's sound quality on the phone is good, but the sound level is way too low. Unknown what the Pre's output level and quality will be.
    6. Video capability- iPhone rumored to have it in new iPhone in June, Palm says it is not in the Pre, but hints it will be coming.
    7. Phone quality of Pre- unknown.
    8. Music store for Pre- how good it is as compared to iTunes?
    9. Music syncing- How will I sync it with my computer music since Mac is not supported?

Reasons Given for Pre that Aren't Good Reasons:
    1. Sprint is going 4G- meaningless because the Pre can't handle 4G (at least that we know).
    2. “Sprint has much faster 3G and a better network in general than AT&T”- I hear this claim a lot. In my experience so far, AT&T's network in many places (and here in Carolinas) has been great. Plus I routinely get 1.3 to 1.7 speeds on downloads on AT&T on iPhone. AT&T is rapidly expanding its 3G coverage. Hardly ever have dropped calls on AT&T. Others in other markets might have a different experience, so I could see how this item could be different for them.

2. Perk macrumors member

3. hbg thread starter macrumors regular

In your opinion...

It's clear from the lack of responses most probably share your opinion, but that does not make the post or issue any less valid. Why don't you add something constructive.

4. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

You always get these after every "iphone killer" is released. It dies down after awhile though.

5. hbg thread starter macrumors regular

Goona, it doesn't look like an iPhone killer to me. After looking at it pretty hard it looks to me like the main people getting it will be Treo owners.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because the pre isn't out yet, could that be why your assessment is pointless?

7. hbg thread starter macrumors regular

Jessica, it may well be, at least to you, because maybe you've not considered buying a Pre- and that's fine. But a lot of people are going to be deciding in just two weeks whether to go buy it without having seen it and going through these issues is nonetheless helpful. I had to make an assessment before I bought the first iPhone before it came out as to whether it was worth it go stand in line.

8. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    There won't be any lines around the block or anything, this will slip right under the radar of the general public/news. The iPhone had an amazing debut, of course all that :apple:$ and brand recognition didn't hurt. There is nothing revolutional with the pre, it is a knockoff (yup, I said it).

(Of course this is all IMHO ;))

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Actually I believe I exhibited some interest in the Pre when it was announced. I just didn't start a thread about it.

10. hbg thread starter macrumors regular

I am beginning to think you're right. After comparing it carefully, the Pre really falls short. Pre is literally on financial life support. They have no money for additional R&D, no money for advertising, and Sprint itself is in trouble. How can this possibly compete against the Apple goliath- billions of cash, tremendous R&D expertise, marketing muscle, a proven product. I've been over at the Pre forums and have become convinced that the main people buying this will be old Treo owners. Maybe that's enough to keep Palm alive, but I doubt it.

11. hbg thread starter macrumors regular

That's fine, but not everyone thinks or acts alike. Judging from your profile, though, it looks like your average number of posts per day suggests you are a prolific poster, so why jab me for the few times I actually post?

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Dude, don't worry about it. I could have told you before you made the post you would get this type of response.

Here's my reasonable response; just wait until both come out and then lay your hands on both of them. All those pro's and con's will likely change once your physically use both of them. Forget specs for a minute and wait till them come out. One of them may blow you away, and then specs will mean less.

13. hbg thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Good advice. Just going to give up for now. Won't be getting one, though. Convinced myself to stay with my iPhone.

14. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

Woooowwww:D

15. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Thanks? :confused:

Edit: HA! I see it, fixed. :eek: (where was my head?) :p

16. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Stay iPhone... You don't know how good you have it until you loose it.