iPhone very low volume...any fix besides returning?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KristenM, Feb 17, 2008.

1. KristenM macrumors regular

I bought my 16GB iPhone last night. I am in love with everything except that I can't hear when talking to someone! The speaker volume is fine, headset volume fine, but the ear speaker to talk like a normal phone is so incredibly low I can barely hear the person in a silent room and not at all when there is any noise around. I have the volume maxed and it doesn't change. Everything that I've read on hear and elsewhere looks like I have to return it...is there a fix that I've missed?
    I'm so sad but without being able to hear it's pretty useless as a phone!

2. elmo151 Guest

it's never been great. you should still be on warranty. try the genius bar (perhaps you got a defective one) or at a minimum call apple

3. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

ya i would say go to the genius bar since applecare is only going to tell you to go to a genius bar unless you live very far away from one. Alot of people have problems with it i dont its loud as hell for me so i think you should go see a genius or a ear doctor :p jk hope everything works for you :)

4. kewl macrumors newbie

Plastic screen cover?

For the first week, I didn't know you could even use the iPhone like a regular cradle phone. I made the mistake of leaving the plastic cover on as a temporary screen protector, which muffled the ear speaker. :eek:

Could that be it?

5. KristenM thread starter macrumors regular

I took the plastic off but I did put a screen protector on...hmmm I guess I'll try to take that off since I'm going to have to take it off to return it anyways.

Update: That was it! I bought the power support crystal film set and must have gotten a defective one that doesn't have a hole for the speaker but never noticed! I'll have to write the company and see if they'll replace it...it's annoying to spend $15 on a product that doesn't work.

6. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Glad your problem had an easy fix. Enjoy the iPhone!!

Kewl, great catch. I wonder how many other people have had the same issue...

7. rosemarycane macrumors newbie

I would try the screen protectors from BodyGardz. I had them on my 8gig and plan to get a set for my 16 gig. great product. Produces much better results than shieldzones product.

8. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude