iPhone Vibrate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarkW19, Jul 2, 2007.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Can someone with an iPhone verify the following:-

Can it vibrate for texts and calendar entries, while on RING mode (as well as silent)? ie. If you're on ring mode and get a text, it will make a sound and also vibrate quickly?

Thanks for any help.

2. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

I've only had it on ring and it vibrates with new texts/e-mails (and makes a sound--diff. sound with each). In fact I'm not sure you can turn the vibrating off unless you turn it off for everything...

4. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Great - I was worried that in ring mode, the vibrate would just be for a call, and not other events. Does it also vibrate for calendar events?

I think the option is GLOBAL vibrate on or off, for RING and SILENT independantly,

5. alep85 macrumors regular

alep85

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's global vibrate on or off on mine.

6. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

Someone else who uses the calendar more than I do would have to help you with that. Maybe check that stickied thread at the top of the list for early adopter questions.

7. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Cheers guys. Anyone who uses the calendar then: does it vibrate when you get a calendar alert?

8. AaronHeth macrumors member

Under Settings>Sounds the vibrate options are listed.

You cannot set vibrate for each individual function: just ring and silent. MEANING

If vibrate is set to "ON" for ring, every single alert will play a sound AND vibrate. Including calendar events, texts, etc. I can confirm that calendar events and texts vibrate for me.

Alert sounds are different depending on the activity. The sounds resemble OS X pretty much.

New mail is a new Mail.app sound.

New text is the sound that iTunes plays when you're finished importing a CD.

So, yes, you can have alerts vibrate, but it is all or nothing. Either all alerts vibrate or none do. The only thing independent is whether you're set on silent or ring. Check it out in your Sound settings. :)

9. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, this has answered all my questions.

On a side note - when holding the volume button down on the side of the phone, how long does it take to go from FULL to LOW? Does it reduce the volume really quickly when the volume button is held down, or is it in fact quicker to tap the button multiple times?

And, can you set the sound to FULLY off by using the volume buttons on the side? Or is the lowest setting just very low, rather than off?

Thanks.

10. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Can you turn off audible/vibration alerts for email but keep them on for other things (SMS/phone calls). If not then the iPhone is going to be a pain in the ass for me for work (I need to respond to SMS alerts 24 hours a day when on call, but don't want to be woken up every time an email arrives).

11. szark macrumors 68030

szark

It takes about 3 seconds to go from full volume to mute by holding the side button down. It's slightly faster than pressing the button multiple times.

Yes, you can. :)

12. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

13. bythecshore macrumors newbie

Someone answered, "Yes, you can," but didn't say how.

I need to do exactly the same thing; turn off vibrate for emails but leave it on for everything else.

How can I do this?

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Wooo, this thread comes from 3 days after the first iPhone was launched. :eek:

You can turn the New Mail/Sent Mail sounds off in the Sounds menu in the settings. These sounds aren't as loud as a new text message, and if you don't have Push, the noise will only go off every time the Mail client checks for mail and there are new messages. It won't make a nose for each new email.

15. bythecshore macrumors newbie

I have a MobileMe account and use the "find iPhone" and "delete contents" features, which requires that push be on. So every time I get an email, the phone vibrates, even with the sound switch off. In meetings, etc., this is distracting and I get dirty looks from people. That's why I'd like to be able to turn it off, but leave it on for everything else.

By what I've read here (and elsewhere), that's not possible... it's all or nothing.

16. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Settings>Mail>MobileMe> Turn the mail switch off OR

Settings> Sounds>Turn New Mail switch off.

17. bythecshore macrumors newbie