Iphone vibration

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mbenven, Feb 14, 2008.

1. mbenven macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I am new at the forum, but long term Mac user and reader of macrumors.
    I look a bit arround your forum but did not find a solution to my problem so i will try to ask.

My iPhone stopped vibrating. When i go into preferences and move the botton from off to on nothing happen. It was working up to a few days ago but now nothing. I tryied to reset the phone, change ringtones, downgraded and re upgrade, I am now on 1.1.2 on a jailbroken phone, everything work but i still don't get the vibration.
    Is there a solution to the problem?
    Is it the battery that vibrate? is it possible that there is an hardware problem? Please help me cause I really need that function to work.

2. Edrubin macrumors member

3. mbenven thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I was hoping i did not have to do, as you can see I am from Italy and I will not beeing able to do so..... I am soooo mad. Is it possible that upgreading it to 1.1.3 had created the problem?

4. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

If you can, download ibrate. If the phone vibrates, its not a hardware issue.
    Go to System/Library/frameworks/celestial.frameworks In here you will see every sound/vibrate plist. The one you are interested in is SystemSoundVibrationPatterns.plist
    Replace this file with a file from another iphone, reset and you will be good to go!

Let me know if you need a fresh plist, i can email it to you if you want

5. mbenven thread starter macrumors newbie

OK sorry if I sound stupid, but i never did it and have no clue how to. I assume that i have to go inside the phone, whad do i use to get to that directory and to replace that file, I have a second i phone so i can extract what i need off of that one. Could you just explain the presiger. Tnx in advance.

And what is ibrate, did you mean vibrate? if not where do i get it? from installer. I know i am annoing but please bear with me.. eh eh.

6. mbenven thread starter macrumors newbie

OK found ibrate, will try that and let you know how that work.

7. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

Have you ever installed SSH and accessed your phone using a program like cyberduck(mac) If you ahve windows there are plenty of programs that will let you access you phone.

8. mbenven thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck with ibrate the phone does not vibrate.

I have a Mac, no i never did it. I think for Mac i can use indipendence, but now that ibrate does not work you think is a hardware problem?

9. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

Hate to say it but yes. I have heard of some solutions for this issue. Some people have flipped there phone over, screen face down, and tapped the back of the phone, or flicked it. You could try that.

10. mbenven thread starter macrumors newbie

Tnx for your help, i confirm the hardware problmen, if i tap it on the back i get a little vivration, and it sound like something is loose, so i guess it has to be serviced.

Can it be send back to apple even if its been jailbroaken and sim freed? and how can i explain that does not work if i supposely never activate it?

11. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

that my friend will be difficult to pull off, you will just have to say the vibrate stopped working. You restored back to 1.1.3 and just did a simple switch of the ring/silent switch and saw it didnt work so didnt bother restoring your backup, just boxed it and shipped it.

12. lasmotta macrumors newbie

Vibrate & 1.1.3 upgrade

I read too many claims of vibrate-stop after 1.1.3 upgrade.
    My case is exactly the same.
    I'm sure :confused: it's a firmware bug.
    I have also a damaged iPhone and I'll try replace the vibrate hardware just to confirm my guess.

13. oursfan macrumors member

I had this happen before the update and had to take it into the Apple store to get a new one. Luckily for me I live in Atlanta where we have multiple apple stores. So, I had it easy. Just went in... showed them that it was not working... they gave me a new one... Easy.

Sorry you will have to ship in in from across the world. Hopefully it will work out though. Just restore it back to the factory settings before you do.

14. mbenven thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I sold it to someone that did not seem to care about the vibration problem and now i am waiting for a new 16 Giga iPhone, Tnx to all for your help.

15. rallymonkey macrumors newbie

help!

need help with my iphone. i hacked it but now it has no vibration capabilities. I SSHed it but nothing seems to work...looks like I need to replace some plists on it...if anyone can assist me it would really help me out. thanks!

16. iJames. macrumors newbie

Helppp

Hey stophmac24 can you please send me the whole celestial.firmware folder
    my iphone dosen't even have the folder after i jailbroke it to version 2.02
    please and thank you

17. lp689 macrumors newbie

yh i have the same problem but i have found out it is not a hardware problem could you please send me the SystemSoundVibrationPatterns.plist file

thank you

18. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

There is no longer a Celestial.framework folder or I am not in the right place. I will post it for you but I cannot find it.

David

19. leversen macrumors newbie

Iphone vibration broken

Hi. i just tapped my iphone 3g with screen faced down, not to hard but hard enough.

after a week with no wibration i had to do something. it worked, and now my iphone 3g works.
    (IN NORWEGIAN)
    Iphone 3g som IKKE vibrerer, jeg har en iphone som etter et fall i bakken (tror jeg) sluttet å vibrere. jeg la den med skjermen nedover i hånden og banket der hvor vibreringsknappen ligger (høyt til høyre nedover vendt). den virket etterpå.

veldig fornøyd :)

thank you

20. carlo12hunt macrumors newbie

hi

my vibrate isn't working too. could you send the plist file to my email please. carlo12hunt@yahoo.com . i would appreciate it if you could. thank you so much. :):):)

21. charro macrumors newbie

Hardware Issue Fix

This is what I did to have it working:
    - Installed iBrate (when running this app in continuous mode, I was able to hear a noise on the back on the phone, but vibrate was not working).
    - I opened very carefully the back cover (you can find several video tutorial on internet), and with the iBrate running identified were the sound came from.
    - In the back cover, at the vibrate switch level, you can see a silver color half-barrel.
    - I used a toothpick to rotate it manually, and if the iBrate still running continuous you will feel the vibrating.
    - I tried several times as seems that mine was stock with who knows what, using a canned air duster may be helpful.

Hope it helps to fix yours

22. kosh197 macrumors newbie

i found the tapping the back of the screen didnt work at first then i checked a forum to locate the vibration motor inside the phone and when i knew where it was i simply tapped it on the back a few times in the right location now it works fine if u look at your iphone and count up second icon from the bottom or fourth from the top of the right hand side of the screen u want to tap the back of the phone in this sector i found a peice of hard rubber like that found on most usb plugs and gave a few knocks not to hard but at the same time enough to hopefuly knock it free it now works again

23. IXxROBxXI macrumors newbie

WOW, You are the best. I have had this problem for a month now. I tapped exactly where you said. It worked. Thank you so much. For all of you withe the same problem, before you SSH into your phone. Simply tap the phone in the right spot. It will probably work.

24. iFixYouri macrumors member

There is a repair available for the vibrate issue on the iPhone. What is happening is the connectors to power the vibrate are getting worn and making bad contact with its' respective power source. A piece of tape will fix this in some cases, but ultimately is not the best, or only, solution. Replacing the contacts/vibrator is the best solution.

25. evan.13, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

evan.13 macrumors newbie

need the /celestial.frameworks folder

ok i have looked through the frameworks folder and cant find the '/celestial.frameworks' folder. is this the cause of my problem

also the silent switch (whether the vibrate option in settings is on or off) has a pattern

from loud, silent without vibrate, loud with vibrate, silent without vibrate, loud with vibrate, silent without vibrate, loud with vibrate, silent with vibrate, loud without vibrate, silent without vibrate, loud with vibrate.

it doesnt matter what i do to settings, or anything else it doenst change the pattern... can anyone help cause this is a vital feature for me to have.

if anyone can email it to me, my email is et.at97@gmail.com thanx

nevermind, false alarm. It was iOS 4.3.1 that was the problem.