iPhone video formats

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grahamtearne, Feb 22, 2008.

1. grahamtearne macrumors regular

First of all met me just say sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum, I don't really know where it should go so feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum if needs be.

My question is a fairly simple one. Is there a common video format that the iPhone, PS3 and Xbox 360 can all play? I have just bought an iPhone and its pretty annoying with the fact some files can be played on it, some can't, some can be played on PS3, some can't etc. Now I know this isn't a PS3/Xbox forum and I know all systems have there own supported video files, but I was just wandering if anyone knows of any profile I can use to convert all my video (except iTunes purchased of course) because at the moment its mix and match on what will stream/play on certain devices and I would prefer not to have several versions of each video because of hard drive space.

I would be grateful for any help or suggestions.

Thank you.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

A Low-Complexity MPEG4 video should work for all those systems, as long it does not excede 128kbps.

TEG

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've used MPEG Streamclip & HandBrake...

for all my converting to MPEG4 for my iPhone & iPod. MPEG Streamclip is nice but it does take a bit longer, while HandBrake is great for transferring my DVD's to my iPhone and iPod Video in a matter of minutes. Both are in the MPEG4 format and easily compressed to under 1GB for each movie. :cool:

4. mudaudio macrumors member

Not sure if the information below answers this specific question, but here's some info from Apple on the subject:

iPhone can play the following video formats:
    • H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Low-Complexity version of the Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    • H.264 video, up to 768 kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    • MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/podcaststechspecs.html#formattingvideo

I believe quicktime encodes these formats, but have no idea if the PS3/Xbox can play them. I would guess they can play MPEG-4?

Edit: As TEG suggests, MPEG-4 seems to be the way, but it seems a lower kbps is needed for other systems.