Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I have an iPhone 4 and bought a iPhone component output wire today. It works with iPod (movies) but nothing else. I have Hulu Plus and Netflix and wanted to use the wire specifically for these two apps. Is this a problem that only I am having or is this normal? And either way, is there a way to get Hulu Plus and Netflix to do video out through the component wires? Thank you so much!

- Joe

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I found out the hard way that netflix hasn't implemented TV Out yet. Not sure about Hulu. The apps have to add it in themselves, then you'll be able to use it with that cord

jasonforisrael

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
jailbreak could probably do it for you.

this is a major bummer. when they released netflix a day or so ago i thought "great, now i can just sit my phone near the TV and plug it in"...but alas, they have failed us.

exhibit.b

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
there are a couple jb apps you can use. tvout2 is what i have. works like a charm with hulu and netflix

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Not sure about Hulu.

Doubt it. Hulu gets its content specifically because they've promised the studios and cable companies that they will stick to computers and portables and not put themselves on televisions.

A stupid distinction, but that's the deal. If they did put themselves on AppleTV or let iPhone-out work they'd likely start losing shows as studios pulled out.

I have no idea what Netflix's deal is. Might be something similar, or maybe not.

tehfrag

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
Doubt it. Hulu gets its content specifically because they've promised the studios and cable companies that they will stick to computers and portables and not put themselves on televisions.

A stupid distinction, but that's the deal. If they did put themselves on AppleTV or let iPhone-out work they'd likely start losing shows as studios pulled out.

I have no idea what Netflix's deal is. Might be something similar, or maybe not.

Resupported4 in Cydia enables video out for hulu, works for other apps that dont normally support video output. Don't think I would pay $10 a month for hulu plus unless I am able to watch it on my TV.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
I have an iPhone 4 and bought a iPhone component output wire today. It works with iPod (movies) but nothing else. I have Hulu Plus and Netflix and wanted to use the wire specifically for these two apps. Is this a problem that only I am having or is this normal? And either way, is there a way to get Hulu Plus and Netflix to do video out through the component wires? Thank you so much!

- Joe

It sucks but apple does not allow many video out options. Sorry to say but Jailbreaking is the only option. Here are the settings I am using to output to my in dash LCD

1) Jailbreak your iPhone
2) Install TVout2 Mirror TVout from Cydia
3) Once TV out is running put the following options
->TV ON
->Video ON
->Orientation control APP
->every other setting should be red

4) Come back and tell me if it worked :D

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008

Isn't Hulu coming to xbox?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.