Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DragonUKHK

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know when shooting a video on my 4S and the battery dies whilst shooting the video is the film lost? As the phone powers off and when turned back on does not appear in the roll.

Cheers!
Happy new year 2012!

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know when shooting a video on my 4S and the battery dies whilst shooting the video is the film lost? As the phone powers off and when turned back on does not appear in the roll.

Cheers!
Happy new year 2012!

i think you answered your own question there.

llluther

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
sorry I have to revive a 2 year old thread, but I have the same problem. (and it's for an important video). I was wondering if somebody has found a solution.

it's an iphone 5s and ios7.
when I connect to my mac I can see in the 'other' section of my memory there's about 5 gb worth of data while normally there should hardly be anything there. So I'm hoping that's the video (about 40min worth).

surely the iphone must save the file continuously (but pherhaps it didn't get to index it), and I must say that this would be the first flaw I notice in my iphone. i have a prosumer camera and a prosumer and pro audio recorder and none of them fail to save a file when they run out of battery while rolling...

ogremoustro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
sorry I have to revive a 2 year old thread, but I have the same problem. (and it's for an important video). I was wondering if somebody has found a solution.

it's an iphone 5s and ios7.
when I connect to my mac I can see in the 'other' section of my memory there's about 5 gb worth of data while normally there should hardly be anything there. So I'm hoping that's the video (about 40min worth).

surely the iphone must save the file continuously (but pherhaps it didn't get to index it), and I must say that this would be the first flaw I notice in my iphone. i have a prosumer camera and a prosumer and pro audio recorder and none of them fail to save a file when they run out of battery while rolling...

Use something like iExplorer to dig through the files on your phone. Hope the video is there! :)

llluther

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
iExplorer didn't find the file.... i'm afraid it doesn't look good. I'll pass by tha mac store this afternoon and see what they say...

llluther

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
ok, there's hope. while doing a last check before going to the shop, the video suddenly did show up in my showreel, and I could transfer it to my computer. hooray. however, now both vlc, mpeg streamclip and qt are telling me the file is corrupt....

let's see...

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I also had this happen to me before. Syncing it with iTunes made it appear in the camera roll.

llluther

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
yep, after sync, the movie appeared in my iphoto collection. I imported it via iphoto, and copy that file into my working folder, and now everything works fine (the file i imported via nikon transfer stayed corrupt). But hooray! the video is saved and I don't have to redo the shoot (which would never be as natural as the one of yesterday).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.