iPhone virtual keyboard vs Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by THE JUICEMAN, Dec 30, 2010.

1. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have recently switched back to iPhone 4(yesterday) after a 6 month leave. So glad to be back! I felt the need to express how much better the virtual keyboard is on iOS. I think I can literally type like 4 times faster on iPhone vs Android(EVO 4G). I think it may be a combination of the form factor(size) of iPhone along with the auto correction software(amazing BTW). Has anyone had the same experience? Any ideas of why Apple's keyboard is so much better? I feel like Google or any of the companies making software overlays for Android should be able to make a keyboard that is at least comparable.

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Microsoft has with Windows Phone 7. Swype didn't treat you well, or are you comparing the stock Android keyboard?

3. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Your right. I tried Windows seven and it was pretty decent. I never could get used to swype. And I was actually referring to all mostly all of the Android keyboards. I tried quite a few. Stock, HTC sense, Swype, Swiftkey, etc.

4. thetexan macrumors 6502a

The neat thing about Android is it allows you to switch keyboards, unlike iOS where you have no choice.

Swiftkey is an application that has changed the way I type. I can't do Swype, but Swiftkey is amazing. Its word prediction is amazing and I never type out full words anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHrTT0XAPJg

In the past if the iPhone ever came to Verizon I'd jump on it without question, but this Android application might make me reconsider my iPhone love.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Man, I remember 2007 when you couldn't walk 10 feet withoout bumping into a thread about virtual-keyboards-vs-physical-keyboards.

It didn't take long...now we get threads comparing different virtual keyboards. I honestly didn't think this day would come so quickly.

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Actually thetexan is wrong if you look beyond the iPhone. The iPad which is also IOS supports pretty much any Bluetooth keyboard that you want to use.

7. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Looks great

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I still like my physical keyboards over virtual and still find physical ones to be better.

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

the day came cause there's actually significant difference between the two. i personally hate android's virtual keyboard. it's not as responsive as iOS. i haven't tried WinMo7 yet.

i'm the opposite. physical keyboard doesn't suck, or isn't bad.. i just type faster on my iPhone than any other phone out there.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Perhaps partly because I'm a good speller, I've always liked software keyboards that simply present me with predictive choices (which I don't have to use), rather than autocorrection that can goof up correct typing.

Now if only someone could invent a grammar autocorrection keyboard for all those in this forum who can't figure out the difference between they're, their, there and other common words...

11. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Droid 2? BlackBerry? Which ones? :confused:

You need to. ;)

Same.

... including your, you're. :D

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Blackberry the gold standard for physical keyboards.

It has been found that people who have gone from physical to virtual keyboards they tend to write less and respond with shorter responses if all all from their phones than lets say with the blackberry.

I just find texting and typing from my blackberry a hell of a lot easier than from my ipod. It just works better for me.

13. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I have found I make a lot less mistakes on my iPhone 4 than i did on my Samsung. I do like the iOS Keyboard, in the past I always dreaded typing on a virtual keyboard over a physical one, but it's getting a lot easier as they improve, and you get used to virtual keyboards.

oh, if only, but then again, maybe it's the autocorrection that is the cause of spelling and grammar to diminish amongst teenagers so horrifically. I cant remember the last time I saw a well spelt, and grammatically correct facebook status...

14. Merkie macrumors 68020

I absolutely love the virtual keyboard on the iPhone. I disabled autocorrection though, it only slowed me down. Typing on it just feels so natural. Although I have to say, I've been an iPhone user for almost 3 years, that must count for something though.

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

The Torch? I don't though - I type a ton - but hey, that's just me. ;)

16. JD914, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

I'm making this post via SwiftKey on my Nexus One and hands down its the best virtual keyboard, swype doesn't even come close. Like magic it predicts what you will type. Anyone that thinks they can type faster or better on iphones 3 year old outdated keyboard is in for a rude awakening.

17. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Umm, okay. Based on what tests? Not trying to bash Swiftkey, as it looks great, but...

18. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Try like I have it and come back with your results.

19. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Will do! (can't promise I'll do it soon though) :)

20. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Take all the time you need, i won't be holding my breath.

21. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

That's good to know! (otherwise you'd be... um, dead, I guess)

22. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I have 5 different types of keyboards on my Vibrant including Swiftkey and Swype.

23. THE JUICEMAN thread starter macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

+1 I am the exact same way and have challenged and beat my blackberry carrying friends on several occasions. Yes I am a nerd but a lot of us here discussing phones are too. LOL

24. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

The stock Android 2.3 Gingerbread VKB on the Nexus S is probably the only phone I have tried so far thats comparable in accuracy to the iPhone.

25. shandyman Suspended

blackberry keyboards suck, too small, too plasticky and hard, ended up with sore fingers after a week. virtual keyboard much quicker and easier. i've gotten to the point where i rarely have to look at where my fingers are to type.