iphone voip app with Canadian numbers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shwick2, Jun 22, 2011.

1. shwick2 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to get a data only iphone and am trying to find a good voip app.

The problem is I'm in canada so I can't use talkatone and google voice as google voice doesn't work in canada.

I'm looking to compare voip apps that have access to canadian call-in numbers so I can get a number in my area (613 area code).

For example, skype for iphone would allow me to do this.

However I also want the app to be lightweight and not suck down my battery while running in the background.

I'm afraid skype might be bloated =/

So which voip app is lightweight, provides decent functionality, doesn't destroy your battery and can get you a canadian number?

2. Punker macrumors member

I'd also love to hear about a solution like this for canadian users.

Maybe not to replace my sim card, but to make international phone calls through 3G or wifi from a Canadian #...

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Do you know what google is and what it was invented for?

4. Punker macrumors member

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

6. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

7. shwick2 thread starter macrumors newbie

you suck

i've been doing some research and numerous sites including gbu show voip.ms as one of the best, most popular voip providers, and it includes DID numbers in canada

then you combine it with a voip app on iphone such as linphone (still doing comparisons) which allows you to set a sip provider and you have quality voip over 3g

voip.ms also lets you get "premium" service for 1.25c/min going through a set of trusted internet routers to increase reliability, worth it imo and cheap

hence why i've decided to go with voip.ms

currently researching which phone app to use though

however people are also saying voip through 3g is laggy, 1-3s, and depends on the congestion of the cell towers you're currently using

im going to go voip all the way though idc

if you're using wifi the calls are great with no lag

line2 is more expensive and isn't on http://www.broadbandreports.com/gbu so i don't know how they compare
    line2 ports your existing number to their service for free, voip.ms charges $25 for canadian customers

line2: 2 Line2 is the only service with the flexibility offered by tri-mode calling, allowing you to place calls using WiFi, 3G/4G data, or cellular voice networks using the same number.
    well my iphone is going to be data only, so i guess that feature doesn't matter too much

basically line2 seems like a more professional service. but the whole point of data only is so i pay $35/mo for phone... if i wanted increased connectivity if i also had minutes on my phone i would go with line2 i guess.

8. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

I have my regular number on my iphone, and then use line2 as a separate number. unlimited minutes via my data (wifi too!), and it gives me a different number to use for calls that i don't want folks to have my regular number to. I think i paid 50 bucks for six months use, which is pretty good i think. :)