iphone + voip; how will that work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shecky, Mar 9, 2008.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

the only thing keeping me out of an iPhone right now is that at my desk at my studio, where i spend 80 hours a week, i have bad/no reception with AT+T. i move 50 feet in any direction i am fine, but where i need it to work, it will not with any consistency.

however i do have broadband and wifi. i am a total n00b to voip, so i am trying to understand this: once an app is created for the iphone that will do voip, will the voip fill in the gap and allow me to make and receive calls to the phone through my wifi? will it use the same phone number? if anyone can illuminate me on this it would be a great help. i am very badly trying to avoid getting a landline + an iphone if i can help it.

2. SpankWare macrumors regular

So a few things to consider. Would you be able to get calls from your AT&T # over a VoIP connection? Not likely. Could you make your primary phone # a VoIP number that forwards to your iPhone when you're away and not when you're home? Sure, but that might not be as convenient as you want.

From what I've read from others the SDK will not allow you to create a background process. This could pose a problem with a robust VoIP app for the iPhone. That said I think there's a big benefit and market for an enterprise VoIP application which would require some access to run in the background. Only time will tell what the possibilities will be. If you have a need for something now, find a solution for now and don't focus on an unknown future.