"iPhone + VoIP" or my "'I'll buy an iPhone when' Criteria"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shoelessone, Oct 17, 2007.

1. shoelessone macrumors 6502

I want to buy an iPhone, I really do, but before I can justify the price I need a few things to happen.

First, I want to hear more from truPhone about the iPhone VoIP client. When/If I buy an iPhone, I will do so to use it primarily as an iPod WITHOUT a AT&T contract. Of course if I just wanted MP3s, I'd buy something else, so I'm looking to use the iPhone as everything else it can be also (web browser, camera, etc, etc). Anyway, I feel like once there is a VoIP client out there then I'll be able to use the iPhone as a phone also, which in the US doesn't do me much good because I already have a dedicated cell phone, but I'll be traveling to Europe next summer and having a VoIP phone would be HUGE for me.

So, has anybody heard anything new about the truPhone iPhone VoIP client? Last I heard, they did a small demo at some trade show on the 26thish of September, and said they'd have more info in 4 weeks or something. Of course it hasn't been quite 4 weeks, but I still hoped somebody might have heard something.

Also, before I buy an iPhone I'll wait for the next firmware release, then I'll wait for another hack/crack/activation method. If nothing comes, I'll probably end up purchasing an iPod Touch.

2. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

3. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

4. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

There's also Skype on the iPhone. 3 cents/min + connection fee I believe. Just google it.