iPhone VPN?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fazzl, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

My university uses a vpn to connect to the wifi but i can i use it with my iphone? the IT says it wont because there are no available vpn programs for the iphone but i thought the iphone has a built in vpn client...?

2. chopper dave macrumors regular

What type of VPN is it? The iPhone only connects to a specific type of VPN. For example, my school offers special VPN for macs using L2TP over IPSec, but uses Kerberos for authentication, so the iPhone will not work here.

You can access the VPN settings in Settings->General->Network->VPN. It supports both L2TP and PPTP servers, but only their most basic implementations.

3. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

4. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

My guess is that the iPhone won't work on the BU VPN. I see that for a Mac they want you to download the Cisco VPN client.

--DotComCTO

5. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

If they use the Cisco VPN you won't be able to connect to the network.

6. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

While on the topic, Cisco VPN is the worst piece-O-crap for the mac I've ever used. I hate cisco.

7. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

yeah its a cisco network. damn well this sucks!

8. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Lolz I'll have to agree on this one.

9. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

so whose to blame here? apple, cisco, or the univ?

10. chopper dave macrumors regular

I see that it uses Kerberos for a login- something I mentioned in my earlier post. Chances are that you will never get this to work until you or someone else ports Kerberos to the iPhone. It is integrated with OSX 10.4, but apparently not with the iPhone's OSX.

11. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I log into kerboes fine on my iphone to check my meal plan and class stuff etc via the bu student site. I just can't use the on campus cisco wifi.

12. CiscoGuru&aMac macrumors member

CiscoGuru&aMac

Yes,

You're 100% correct.

Mostly, Kerberos is used in conjunction with Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA) to authenticate you to Microsoft Directory Services for network resource access. Authenticating at a Firewall/Server and authenticating to Directory Services (Active Directory - AD) for network resource access are two very necessary and very unique security processes. Your network may even employ Kerberos Constrained Delegation (Win2k3 Server and above, MS only I believe at this point. Should be coming soon if it's not here yet for OS X), even tighter Kerberos security limiting you to a specific server and service (Port).

I know Mac OS X uses kerberos to authenticate users to a third party directory. So basically this is incorporating a Mac OS X server into AD. Insane how Mac OS X is the only OS that supports a VPN client that supports Kerberos authentication. Thought this was very cool. Here is my source: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSXServer/Conceptual/XServer_ProgrammingGuide/Articles/KerberizingtheMacOSXVPNServer.html

Some VPN's are agnostic with respect to the VPN client you are using, some are not. Cisco based VPNs require you to download a compatible Cisco VPN client so you're SOL here.

I believe Apple put this convenience into the iphone mainly for the user who requires access to Mac server services. Also to access his/her VPN where technically possible (Agnostic VPN client) and for users with SOHO routers who want a secure connection to home.

Some Cisco WiFi networks require you not only to use their VPN client if a VPN or VPNs are in place, but may also require you to purchase a Cisco Aeronet PCMCIA card for your laptop for WiFi access.

I think we should all be very happy this bad a$$ little phone even has a VPN client at all!

iPhone rocks!

13. kaenai macrumors newbie

Oh wow.. I go to BU as well; I guess I'll have to either play around with it, or just wait and see what Apple does. :(

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Write to apple.com/feedback

Have all your friends with iPhone write to BU help desk asking for support.

15. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Get Shimo. You'll learn to love it.

16. kaenai macrumors newbie

It's no use. I don't know anyone with one. I'm personally using an iPod touch (for all the difference that makes).

Okay, one other person in my Biotechnology class, but he's only on campus for classes; he's never around long enough to care. :(

I suppose I can wait for the proposed Enterprise support, and see what that adds (in addition to the much anticipated SDK).

17. kappaman210 macrumors newbie

That's crazy, I go to BU as well. Very annoying that our network doesn't work with the iPhone.

18. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007