Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I like how the FP acts on the 6P. It doesn't have to be pushed to unlock the phone. Agree though that having the FP on the back is not optimal IMHO.
Oh and the capacitive buttons on Samsung phones is still software. It can be switched rather easily. Samsung just won't allow it. But I wish they would. On your 6P you can flash CyanogenMod 13 which allows for a lot more customization and a true battery percentage meter.

Sorry, should've clarified...aren't the capacitive button icons part of the bezel? Guess those could be lit differently to change the icon. And yes, I like how you only have to touch the FP sensor on the 6P as well, just hate where it's located--so inconvenient to any usage not involving holding the phone in your hand.

Reactions: jamezr

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Man, an Galaxy edge like device with no buttons on the front, remove the samsung lettering, and you have the sexiest device known to man. :)

Have you seen the Galaxy S7 in black with no Samsung lettering on the front? It's either South Korean or Japanese, can't remember which. Anyway, it's the stealthiest phone I've ever seen.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sorry, should've clarified...aren't the capacitive button icons part of the bezel? Guess those could be lit differently to change the icon. And yes, I like how you only have to touch the FP sensor on the 6P as well, just hate where it's located--so inconvenient to any usage not involving holding the phone in your hand.
I imagine thay could switch the lighting too? Maybe different color lights for the different image? I am sure there could be a way to do it....

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Great article: http://www.androidauthority.com/apple-high-prices-iphone-691237/

Why is Apple still able to command such high prices for its iPhones?

I know this is from an Android site, but it's fairly written.

And more importantly, I think it's pretty spot on.
[doublepost=1462895975][/doublepost]
99% of the time the back button takes you back to the previous screen. You cannot get more consistent than that.

100% this.

See what I did there? ;)

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK

100% this.

See what I did there? ;)

Saw that article. I think it's more because people can easily adapt to iPhones. Not just from switching, but also from upgrading from an older iPhone. With Android all the software is different, and you have to get used to features from the newer versions.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Saw that article. I think it's more because people can easily adapt to iPhones. Not just from switching, but also from upgrading from an older iPhone. With Android all the software is different, and you have to get used to features from the newer versions.
That is certainly the case for a few people I know. If you buy a new iPhone you can restore from a backup and don't have to go through completely setting the phone up. It's easy and intuitive. New features pop up through the 'tips' app too. Android comes on many different phones and skins and can look vastly different from each device. I dread to think of the hassle I would have if my parents switched to Android to be honest.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
That is certainly the case for a few people I know. If you buy a new iPhone you can restore from a backup and don't have to go through completely setting the phone up. It's easy and intuitive. New features pop up through the 'tips' app too. Android comes on many different phones and skins and can look vastly different from each device. I dread to think of the hassle I would have if my parents switched to Android to be honest.
Yeah i get that

Took me ages to step up my s7 edge to how i want it. Took me a good few days. Even longer now that i have got nova set up but i know you can backup stuff on that and have it how you want it.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015

100% this.

See what I did there? ;)

I still haven't seen anyone take into account the free SW that's packaged with the HW Apple makes (ie. Garage Band, Photos, Pages, Keynote, iMovie......list goes on), they have costs too, and unlike Google, they don't sell ads to support it. I got tired of praying that the app I download on my Android phone doesn't mess with my battery life.

Not fanboing but just went with what makes my life easier at the end of the day. I use M$, Linux, Google/Android, and Apple products depending on needs.

Reactions: epicrayban

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I still haven't seen anyone take into account the free SW that's packaged with the HW Apple makes (ie. Garage Band, Photos, Pages, Keynote, iMovie......list goes on), they have costs too, and unlike Google, they don't sell ads to support it. I got tired of praying that the app I download on my Android phone doesn't mess with my battery life.

Not fanboing but just went with what makes my life easier at the end of the day. I use M$, Linux, Google/Android, and Apple products depending on needs.
That's why I generally prefer paid apps over free ones.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Have you seen the Galaxy S7 in black with no Samsung lettering on the front? It's either South Korean or Japanese, can't remember which. Anyway, it's the stealthiest phone I've ever seen.

I havent but it sounds fantastic!!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
That's why I generally prefer paid apps over free ones.

Same here--like to see devs get compensated for their hard work and hopefully help them to continue to support and improve their apps, all while encouraging them to stay away from the 'freeium' model if at all possible.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Same here--like to see devs get compensated for their hard work and hopefully help them to continue to support and improved their apps, all while hopefully encouraging them to stay away from the 'freeium' model if at all possible.

I tend to always buy my apps. A free app with adverts without the option to pay and remove those adverts gets uninstalled quickly. This applies to Android & iOS.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah i get that

Took me ages to step up my s7 edge to how i want it. Took me a good few days. Even longer now that i have got nova set up but i know you can backup stuff on that and have it how you want it.
I switch a lot of phones. Every Android phone has a restore feature from Google. It will restore all you apps over the air. After that is done it's just a matter of restoring my Nova backup from my G drive. Very little effort and all my apps are installed and Nova is just the way I like it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I switch a lot of phones. Every Android phone has a restore feature from Google. It will restore all you apps over the air. After that is done it's just a matter of restoring my Nova backup from my G drive. Very little effort and all my apps are installed and Nova is just the way I like it.
you need to do that via computer then? is it just all backed up with google + or something?

I know when i set up my S7 edge it gave me an option to restore from another android?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
you need to do that via computer then? is it just all backed up with google + or something?

I know when i set up my S7 edge it gave me an option to restore from another android?
No when you initially setup and put in your Google details it asks do you want to restore and will show you the last backup with Google and you can then if you click on the app number it shows - you can actually select or deselct some apps. It basically brings across all the apps that were on your last Google device so if that's a samsung it will install Samsung print and push services on your other branded phone unless you untick them or cancel them after.

No need for a PC. It's much the same as Apple's icloud backup ...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
No when you initially setup and put in your Google details it asks do you want to restore and will show you the last backup with Google and you can then if you click on the app number it shows - you can actually select or deselct some apps. It basically brings across all the apps that were on your last Google device so if that's a samsung it will install Samsung print and push services on your other branded phone unless you untick them or cancel them after.

No need for a PC. It's much the same as Apple's icloud backup ...
that is ideal, guessing you can backup your current samsung phone and on your next one it will work?

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
It's much the same as Apple's icloud backup ...

Minus restoration of home screen layout in my experience. In addition to Google back and restore I have to back up and restore the home-screen layout of my launcher.

Or does the Google system restore home-screen layouts on certain devices (e.g. devices such as Nexus with Google's own launcher)?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Minus restoration of home screen layout in my experience. In addition to Google back and restore I have to back up and restore the home-screen layout of my launcher.

Or does the Google system restore home-screen layouts on certain devices (e.g. devices such as Nexus with Google's own launcher)?
Yeah on Nexus devices the home screen layout is restored too.

Reactions: ozaz

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Wasn't really sure where to put this little discovery but recalled us talking about it somewhere...seemed as good a spot as any.

I decided to try out a new email app for iOS called, of all things ;), Email, based on a discussion on the Ctrl-Walt-delete podcast from the Verge. I was going through all of the available settings (some very cool things--ability to mass unsubscribe, customizable swipe actions, snoozing) when I came upon 3D Touch Quick Actions. This setting allows you to select 4 options from a list of 7 to appear when you 3DT the home screen icon. Customizable 3D Touch!! :eek: How come this is the first we've seen this and why has it taken so long?!

Hopefully this is a precursor of more widespread implementation of this functionality. I know many here don't see much benefit from 3DT but I use it quite a bit and its one of the aspect of the iPhone I miss when using Android.

image.png

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
that is ideal, guessing you can backup your current samsung phone and on your next one it will work?
Yep and their is no restrictions as far as wireless or cellular connection. You can have it restored without a computer. It will restore wallpaper and the like too.
Then Samsung also has the smart switch software that can backup and restore just about everything that say iTunes does well.

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
don't think it's anything new to be honest. I think we need to get used to the fact the design is staying the same. Just hope they add more stuff to the phone. Waterproof seems to be coming which is good at least. Wireless charging would be great also but i've heard less about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.