iPhone vs. Atrix or EVO 3D

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Smug Boy, May 16, 2011.

1. Smug Boy macrumors member

With the Atrix out and the HTC EVO 3D to be released sometime in June, how does the current iPhone 4 offering from Apple size up with these newer, faster and more feature rich competitors?

2. ap3604, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

ap3604 macrumors 68000

You could always leave this forum and join theirs to find out...

Edit: "newer, faster, and more feature rich competitors"??? You need to pick your words more delicately in order to avoid a flamewar thread Smug Boy.

3. El3ctronics, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011

El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Now to answer your question, the Atrix has great specs but the device itself doesn't look great to me. I don't know much about the EVO 3D but if you want to test out Android, I'd wait for the Galaxy S2 to be subsidized by the US carriers and check that out.

4. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Blah...not another one of these "BrandX is better than the iPhone4" threads? Yes. both are way better than the iPhone 4, in terms of:

- Specs: Most of the newer Android handsets, released in the last 6 months, are better than the iPhone 4. If you have the proverbial "Erection" for specs, then the iPhone 4 isn't for you...move along.
    - Android version [I don't know, I lost track with all the varying versions; Froyo, Chocolate Cake, Blueberry Muffin, whatever..] is better than iOS, because it's customizable, I can root it, it has a better notification system, it has true multitasking, blah blah blah...

Now that we have that out of the way, most people prefer iOS and iPhone 4 because it just works. iOS is optimized on the iPhone hardware, so both work well, regardless of the fact that the hardware is less robust than it's competitors. Just like OSX/Mac vs. Windows/PC's. Is iOS/iPhone 4 in need of improvements? Absolutely! All systems need improvements to stay viable. I'd love to see better notifications, and some subtle enhancements to iOS. Maybe some basic customizations, etc. But that doesn't make the phone IMO. It's how reliable it is, and how well it works...

5. Rodimus Prime, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

As for this OP I would want him to answer exactly what you want out of your phone?
    Do you like information at a glance?
    How important are notifications?
    What is the most important thing in your phone that you want?
    Is the Media player a very important to you?

6. Smug Boy thread starter macrumors member

You have missed my point. At the iPhone's onset Apple was the leader and since it doesn't look like an iPhone 5 is coming this summer, what is Apple's strategy to remain the leader as it seems to be going down the same road with the iPhone as it did with the Macintosh in the 80's.

Any thoughts?

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

What are you looking for, ok yes everything you say is true, Apple is a 3rd rate hardware company with 2nd rate software. How else can you explain the iphone 4 being so far behind all of the phones that have came out in the last 3 months. Honestly i look for any day this very forum to be renamed DOS rumors and all of the antiquated folks on here to go endlessly on and on about the good old days before the great XXX phone came out.

8. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

If comparing to an iPhone4, lol not even a question, the EVO-3D is hands down the better phone. But not just the amazing technology in it, but with Sense 3.0 it has amazing software behind it.

Now the iPhone5 might be the better phone of the bunch, but the iPhone4 was outdated when it came out last year. And iOS4 is like from the stone age.

9. gameface macrumors 6502

The show I'm editing is sponsored by the Atrix and we give them away to the contestants so I've had time to play with them. They are pretty slick but I still like my iphone and don't see myself changing.

10. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I can't comment on the EVO 3D but I had an Atrix but decided to get a white iPhone when it was released. I found the Atrix to be faster and more stable when browsing the internet (esp on 3G and EDGE in low coverage areas) and similar performance in everything else. Video recording is better than the iPhone especially the sound quality. The photo quality isn't as good in low light conditions but about the same in well lit/daytime photos. GPS/Google Navigation is far better on Android and the feature I miss the most when using an iPhone. The screen on the Atrix doesn't offer the same pixel density so text at small sizes is a little jaggy but otherwise is good and the 4" screen is a nice change from the 3.5" on the iPhone. I would probably switch back to the Atrix if it received a decent software update to Gingerbread.