iphone vs. blackberry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthewcap, Jan 16, 2008.

1. matthewcap macrumors member

just wondering how the iphone is compared to the new blackberrys?, and how slow is the iphone edge network compared to 3G? and is it worth taking a chance on the 1st generation iPhone for business purposes now?

2. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

You will get alot of people on here saying bad things about edge, but it is plenty fast for day to day browsing especially on mobile sites. I absolutely have the blackberry OS and will never use it again.

3. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

While 3G is faster than the iPhones EDGE 2G it has yet to be proven in practice outside of the verizon wireless network.

If you want to go with the Voyager then feel free to waste the $170. I tried my friends and hated it. His internet was humming along at 2x the speed the iphone was but it only went to mobile sites. If I tricked it into going to a non mobile site then it became just as slow as my iPhone.

3G is faster but for now the iPhone is just as fast as all the other 3G phones only it goes to the real internet.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you're talking about GSM Blackberrys, I'm not aware of any 3G model.

I have a Verizon EVDO (CDMA 3G) Blackberry, and when it comes to the experience of browsing with my iPhone on EDGE or my Blackberry on 3G, I much much much much prefer my iPhone on EDGE. The overall experience of loading a page may be slower on the iPhone, but the page is rendered in a much more usable way for me.

IMO, even though it's first generation, the iPhone's been out long enough to be proven (one way or the other, depending on your specific needs). Any question you have about its abilities in a business environment has more than likely been blogged about (by tech pros like computerworld, cnet, etc) or forum-posted about on Mac sites like here and on Blackberry forums. I'd be surprised if you don't get a general feel for whether or not it'd work for you just by doing a little googling (or forum posting, like your question here).

Where I work, I can't use the iPhone to replace my BB. My company doesn't allow external IMAP or POP3 access, so the BB is the only way I can get my work email.

I used to use my work BB as my main phone, carrying it everywhere. Now I have it call-forwarded to my iPhone, and I carry my iPhone everywhere. I usually have my BB laying around in case I have to read a work email, but I only find myself using it occasionally now.

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i used a friends voyager for the first time, a couple days ago. i have to say i was looking forward to using one, but once i used it for about 5 minutes i hated it. the touchscreen was not responsive at all. i felt like i had to press extra hard to get it to register a touch. the music player sucked. maybe it was just how i was using it but the music was only coming out of the interior speakers so it only sounded good if i had the phone open. i love my iphone and recommend it to anyone that asks

6. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Had a blackberry and then an iPhone and it isn't even close....iPhone wins easily

But, let's be fair....for work, the iPhone fits me fine but for some friends, the blackberry fits them better

To each his own

I find the ease of the iPhone to be just fantastic while the blackberry was annoying as hell

7. kaboutertje macrumors regular

kaboutertje

I've had the iphone and the blackberry, and although I love the iphone's interface, I prefer the blackberry for mail.

And my blackberry feels feels smaller then the iphone, and I found the call quality to be a bit better on the blackberry. And really email and calling is the only thing I do with this phone so no complaints here.

But I see why people love the iphone.

8. rayward macrumors 65816

My corporate BB puts a copy of any email I send in my Lotus Notes sent folder. That's pretty cool. Everything else about it is inferior to my iPhone.

If you have to have your sent items added to your desktop email, then you have to get a BB. Otherwise, iPhone offers the old BB workaround of an automatic bcc to yourself so that you have a copy at work to print for your file.

9. rayward macrumors 65816

I have noticed that none of the commercials for new touchscreen phones show the touchscreen actually working. The vast majority of iPhone commercials show nothing but the touchscreen in action.

10. Amblinman macrumors regular

This is all about need. If you need time critical email, the iPhone can't touch the BB. In fact, if you use your phone heavily for business, the BB is a much better choice than the iPhone.

However, if browsing and media play a bigger role in your interest, than the iPhone outclasses any BlackBerry.

I think, in the end, it comes down to email. Do you need real time access to it or not? If you do, then don't even consider the iPhone. Email is just okay, at best, on the device.